Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Csaba_Vass

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
I would like to use Airtable to save and manage all my data connected to different topics (work, ihome, personal โ€ฆ) Itโ€™s important to access my data offline on mobile (Android).

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? Alone

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
View my data is fundamental, but editing is very important - if I see something or I have an idea, or have to work on someting on the go.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
If I have the opportunity to select the right version.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? primarly on mobile

Ben_Maiden
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
I live and work in the Blue Ridge Mountains, giving computer tech support. My main concern is about offline access for my iPhone. Verizon coverage is the best in the region, but in many locations I canโ€™t get an LTE or 3G connection, and in some locations thereโ€™s just no signal. This problem is universal among professional service people in the region. I normally avoid any phone app that stops working when the signal isnโ€™t good enough.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
Right now Iโ€™m learning Airtable and I use it alone, but soon Iโ€™d like to collaborate with my business partner, and may hire employees and have them use it later.
Read-only would be way better than having no offline access. Ability to edit while offline would be a plus.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
Generally up to 8 hours on my cell phone, till I return to my home office and use my computer to get a larger view.

No problem โ€“ for me that would be much better than losing access to Airtable. I donโ€™t mind following instructions to compensate for less-than-stellar user features. For me Airtable is an excellent construction kit and already beautiful. I donโ€™t need perfect versatility, just predictable access online and offline.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Primarily mobile. However, in stormy weather out her in the country, homes and businesses sometimes lose Internet service altogether, so offline access for desktop and laptop computers would also be appreciated.

Campbell_Donald
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would I want to use Airtable offline?
Let me explain. I used Bento on my iphone, still do actually, but I was introduced to Airtable just last week by my daughter who knew I was looking for a replacement for Bento. Airtable looked just the thing I was looking for until today when I tried to use it in the wild. I was in a bookshop in the outskirts of Glasgow and wanted to add a book to my booklist. I go the message โ€œconnecting โ€ฆโ€. Then I noticed I had no network access. What use is it having a portable database that is only portable if you have an internet connection. I had to resort to Bento again. Itโ€™s clumsy and awkward and now doesnโ€™t sync but it works on my phone.

In Scotland we have very poor public internet access. Sometimes we get 4G, but only really in city centres. If youโ€™re lucky, 3G elsewhere. Iโ€™d like to see the app buffer the data and allow it to sync with the home station when access is available and when it detects that changes have been made.

Alone

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
About an hour max at a time should see me through the changes/additiions I would need to make.

That wouldnโ€™t be a great problem for me. Iโ€™m used to fixing data stuff given enough instruction.

Primarily mobile. Thankfully we have good internet access at home.

PS
Iโ€™d just like to add that this is the most sophisticated forum reply form Iโ€™ve use. Quite excellent!

Peter_Nathan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How fabulous - an app company that allows users a voice.

I work in film. The problem occurs when out of internet range and I need to access and add information.

Alone is my preference.

I would need to be able to add or subtract data information. I would not necessarily require the ability to make structural changes.

This would depend on the degree of โ€˜manualโ€™. If it was something that required little skill, or a skill that could be learned with ease - I would have no issues, in light of having the ability to work offline.

I consider the online feature as a way to backup. Therefore, I would tend to work as much as I could in this mode.

Hana_Lokey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks, AirTable and Howie for taking the time to explain the issues being explored and listen to needed uses.

I work for an international nonprofit where we visit many sites that have no internet. We would need to have someone use it offline for at least a few hours up to a day or two. Most offline cases would be intentional and foreseen but there is poor internet connection in other places, so there would be many times when the connection would be interrupted.

I would collaborate with 4-10 other users.

I would need to add records, ideally using a form, as well as read/edit, and add tasks. I would not need to do and restructuring of the base.

This would depend on the complexity. I would be open to this if it were simple, especially if the offline use was noted explicitly so I knew what was coming.

Mobile.

Iโ€™m also curious, can you help me understand how much data Airtable uses, now if a user is editing offline?

Thanks.

Michael_Appleto
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a must have feature!

Scott_Bleackley
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

While I have applications where offline field data collection, as described, is critical, those are currently in Filemaker using Timโ€™s FM EasySync to sync the collection when returning to wifi.

The current application in development on air table requires a much more modest off line use.

When volunteers are providing a service to a client they need to enter data.
Currently if they open the form while online, and keep the page open they can use pick lists but not linked selections. They also cannot submit the data, and certainly cannot enter another, or more services before coming back to internet connectivity. Some can do this with mobile connectivity but it is not available in all locations.

Alex_C
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am also very interested in offline mode

M-Pixel

Offline vs what exists now is a matter of increasing the allowed latency.
So Iโ€™m curious - if one of the potential un-resolvable conflict situations arises with the current setup - what happens? And how often does it actually happen?
Going a step further, how often are users actually engaging in behavior that would lead to such conflicts were they offline? (if you were to log and analyze data from current use in order to determine such a thing)

Mark_Cruz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for offline support to serve as trello replacement. Thank you!