Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Harald_Klockenh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just to raise my hand and reiterate:
Offline Mode please!

I love the easy and intuitive user experience of AirTable with a lot of flexiblity.

But I travel a lot, especially flying with no or unreliable internet access.
Without offline mode AirTable is close to useless for me.
Harald

David_Browne

Agree with previous comments. Hard to continue to use the app for travelers who don’t have internet or reliable internet. Read only mode would be a good start.

Iryna
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would say that I am looking for purely desktop tool rather than offline mode. Some companies have policies to not put any data only at all, so I would like to continue using the desktop app you already have but no syncing to the cloud, so merging conflicts are not even an issue. Place all data on the client side. Not having data online while working with your amazing tool would be fundamental for my needs.

Jean-Louis_Autr
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone,
Seems like everyone is struggling with the offline non-ability of Airtable.
I’m very confused with the utility of most templates I’ve been looking for.
In my case I’m looking for a smart way to compile documents, pictures, etc as a location scouting tool.
That’s neat, some templates are available for those.
But what’s the point if I can’t even read the database while scouting in a remote location.
I’m not even talking about adding entries while on the go.

It might be a philosophical issue, and maybe Airtable just doesn’t fit my usage.
But it seems like the tool has been designed for most of problematics we encounter in Film preparation and I can assure you that most of departments in a film crew would love a tool like this.
For now it’s a dealbreaker as it is.
Such a bummer

Looking forward to seeing such a feature

RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Offline mode read only would be a huge help.

Atilla_Lifeson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m also raising my hand for offline mode. :raising_hand_man:

Windows Desktop and iOS + iPadOS user here.

Currently I’ve tried several different project management software but non of them really gave me enough freedom to create lists, tasks and whatever else. Airtable is easy to look at, overseeable, and highly effective in so many ways. While other software is narrow minded (even the big ones like Asana or Trello) Airtable allows you to set up your layouts the way you want.

The lack of offline readability is really a dealbreaker at the moment. I’m about to commit to a software and a plan but as a filmmaker who travels a lot it’s sometimes hard to come by any internet.

I’m no programming expert but I believe it must be possible to download specific packages or informations locally on your mobile device. I know you can download CSV’s in the desktop version but that doesn’t work for me since I’m mainly using my iPad with Airtable and every now and then I don’t have access to any internet.

If I know beforehand that I’m about to lose connectivity for a while in a specific area I could download a specific table I need to work or at least can have a look at in that time. I personally wouldn’t need the files attached to the tables or the ability to work on tables offline (to be later updated to the servers when gaining connectivity again). Simply the fact to be able to have a look into all the things I have prepared and put so much effort in before is actually a must have.

There must be a way to do this. Nothing is impossible. I don’t know how long I can wait for it (if it’s even planned) since I have a running business and on-going projects to manage.

Please Airtable-Team… You can do it!

P.S.: If you need help or someone for more tutorial videos or anything similar feel free to hit me up. Being a video-editor & animator I’d be glad if I can help out.

Sandrine_Coosem

+1 for an offline mode! I’m now “paying” for my AirTable subscription with credits, but would not spend actual money on it if there’s no offline mode.

I use AirTable on my Macbook Air + iPhone (and hoping to add an iMac to the mix soon), but would use the offline mode mostly on my Macbook.

• How would you want to use Airtable offline?
    I live off-grid in Spain. Great internet 99% of the time - but on stormy days or when travelling it’d be great to at least be able to access existing tables. Plus one of my favourite working spots has a great view of mountains & alpacas - but no wifi.
    I also travel quite regularly and like to brainstorm & plan on airplanes - it’d be great to use AT then as well.
    Third - I like to spend time at my parents’ place - they don’t have wifi, and it’s a hassle to connect to my phone’s internet every time I want to work for a bit.

• Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
    I would mostly want offline access to AirTable workspaces where I’m the sole collaborator. Or I’d be totally fine with not being able to add collaborators to AirTables that I saved offline.

• How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
    Ideally, all of it - but for my most basic needs (being able to continue working even when internet fails for a day), read-only would be awesome.

• For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
    A couple of hours - when a storm is budging our internet antenna so much it won’t connect, when I’m on an aeroplane (mostly intra-Europe flights), when I’m working outside.

• How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
    Very tolerant. As mentioned before, I wouldn’t mind to only have offline access when there’s no collaborators on the table.

• Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
    Desktop. I don’t use AirTable on mobile much - and when I do, I usually have internet on my phone anyway. Although I could see myself using the mobile app more often on an aeroplane, instead of my macbook.

TeamMADE
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

A simple function for Offline Mode:

An option to select a Table as “Non-collaborative” or “ Single-Use”

This allows edits to be made offline and saved when network is re-established. The compromise is phone storage, although

Tyrel_Froese1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Add +1 to the list for an offline mode for Airtable.

How would you want to use Airtable offline?

I am a marine biologist who spends a fair amount of time in remote locations with no/limited internet. It would be great to be able to use Airtable as a conformation tool for identifying certain similar species in the field, and also possibly as a data entry form.

Do you use Airtable alone?
I work with a small team of collaborators, but most of them will be in the field with me, so it wouldn’t be much of an issue.

How long offline?
Generally for 4-6 hours at a time.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
Fairly tolerant, I don’t see this being too much of an issue for my specific use case

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Mobile. Ideally Airtable would be installed on a tablet we could take to the field in a pelican case.

Chris_W
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

In January 2018 I posted offline mode was critical to me. That hasn’t changed and I’m still not using Airtable because of it. I wouldn’t keep checking if I didn’t like this product.