Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Globally accessible table of users w/ direct relation to interface filters

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g4knr99
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast
What is the proposed idea/solution?

The idea is to have a table within the database that stores information about the base's users and is accessible to use for filters in interfaces without having to have copious numbers of linked records across the base. For example, the table outlines the user, their manager, team, etc... then, in the interface, I can filter to check if the current user is in a certain team and show them records if they are.

How does it solve the user problems?

It removes the need to create a multitude of references across the base. I currently, for example, have a user and a team table, and each has multiple reference fields to outline how they relate to others, like their managers, their manager's managers, anyone who should have visibility over this person's records, etc... 

This would allow me to instead have the following filters:

- if record owner is current user (currently possible)
- if current user is in X team
- if current user is in leadership team

These wouldn't be possible without linking the X and/or leadership team to each record in the table, which isn't very efficient to do, particularly if you have thousands of records.

How was this validated?

Doing a lot of work around the visibility of records within Airtable interfaces based on values in the table.

Who is the target audience?

Bases that have multiple people working in them.