Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Group using multiple select field, without creating a new group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Casey_Unrein
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would love to be able to have a record appear in two groups when using a multiple select field, rather than having the record create a new group that is the combination:

i.e.
Record 1 — A
Record 2 — B
Record 3 — A,B

Group A
Record 1
Record 3

Group B
Record 1
Record 3

Current functionality creates a new group called Group A,B and each group then only has one record.

36 Comments
Nathaniel_Grano
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Have been tracking this issue for years and realized I never chimed in.
I have at least a dozen scenarios for my clients where an option to Group By individual values would solve the scenario and the current behavior makes the Group By feature unusable for them.

Indeed, I think this is probably the more common scenario for end users than the current behavior.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

I too would like this feature. And also the ability to define a group, but be able to toggle it off or on without resetting the group configuration.

Regarding the limitations Justin was mentioning a couple of years back, perhaps a solution may be to have a new View type specifically for viewing/managing grouped data, maybe a Group View?

Marie_Strycharz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another user here, just validating the chorus above. When I create a view grouped by a multiple-select field, it gives items with more than one selection their own group, rather than appearing under each of the groups selected.

It defeats the whole purpose of multiple-select, since it’s treating every combination of selections as a unique, singular category.

Airtable, please change this.

LNU
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Bump

Kyle-scott
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yep, still want this feature, am moving to Notion

mrvc

This would be so simple with a checkbox to 'split multiple values'. Official response from airtable and the suggested workaround is poor — create views for every multiselect item — super tedious!
https://support.airtable.com/docs/multiple-select-field

I suggest visiting that support article and responding to the page with feedback about how poor this suggested workaround is and link to this post... 

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 03.45.04.jpg