Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Kanban grouping using link fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Neil_Watson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there any way to use link fields for kanban stacks. It appears that only single select fields can be used, but I would like to use a grouping field that is a lookup to another table. As a simple example, I have a location field, which is a lookup field to another table, defining locations. I would like to use that as the grouping field in a kanban view. It looks as though the only option I have currently is to duplicate the field with a single select field, and then find a way to keep both in sync?

Many thanks for any help

Neil

118 Comments
Aaron_Ball
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also will cast a vote. But I am curious, does anyone from Airtable read these? I have seen multiple-year requests like this without any acknowledgment from Airtable, are we all just talking to the wind?

Roshan_Joseph
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 from me too. It is too restrictive in itโ€™s current form.

Alex_Markley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Game Changer, 100%

Dan_Emmerie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

does this workaround still work? i canโ€™t seem to select a lookup field for the matrix block

ChipAtYaggy

+1 5+ years later. The gyrations required to move to single select are such a waste.

Benjamin_Armstr
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 I really need this.

Michael_Clive2
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have been using Airtable for years and years and I have needed this feature for years and years. Airtable: Can you not understand how important this feature is? This is the basics of relational databases. The problem is always the same: I have a record of vendors, and I have a record of orders. Or I have a record of employees and a record of tasks. I want to link vendors to orders, and kanban orders by vendor.

Every time I try to use Airtable to solve a problem, I run into this. I canโ€™t progress past this, and this is what keeps me from really fully committing to the product.

ethan_rinaldo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Ce serait vraiment utile.

Shane_Roach
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Plus 1 here. Surprised to arrive here and see this concept receiving no suggested workarounds, or understandings, for years. Are we missing an obvious alternate approach?

J_Jones
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for me. Would eliminate a workaround and make airtable less complicated to use.