Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Image URL

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Eovino
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’d love to see a new data type that takes the URL of an image file and renders the image rather than just displaying the URL as a link. I would think that this would save you some storage space as well by letting us link to hosted files rather than pulling them in as attachments.

52 Comments
Edward_Triplett
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 I understand that this might be contrary to the AirTable pricing model to allow us to store our images in other clouds rather than uploading them, but there are so many other services that do this (google sheets etc.), I can’t imagine storage is the only way for AirTable to ensure that people purchase plans. In fact, I would pay for the ability to link directly to images stored on BOX or Dropbox, or a simple URL link.
There seem to be many people who want this. Can we get an official reply on why it is not implemented?

Alex_Crow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 This would be incredibly useful in automating our marketing reports

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

You can use a multi-step zap to copy an image URL created via formula to a true URL/link field, and then also an attachment field. When the attachment field contains a URL to an image, it will display it in-line. We use this to generate and display barcodes.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun
Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This is a great solution and thank you for sharing. I will definitely be using it.

It does annoy me that it works with zaps but not when importing a csv or pasting the URL in the attachment field. I have a list of 9000+ products that I’d have to run nicely timed zaps to get those images there and still would be a time saver–I already have ways to use Zapier to populate images for these existing products but it would be great not to use the 9000 tasks and simply paste, in a way that makes it more consistent with the Zapier action (which to ignorant me is like pasting the value in the field)

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@polen Agreed, for manual “copy and pastes” I’d argue the Attachment field should accept an Image URL. That said, for automation, you’d likely still need Zapier. In our case, we have a formula that generates a unique Image URL (barcode), which we then need to auto-populate within an Attachment field. Thus Zapier is truly required for us… At least until Airtable adds some sort of scripting.

Replate
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Yes please! I use air-table to process data that is exported from another software as a CSV, containing many many urls to photos.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Another option might be auto-import of images from a trusted partner, say Dropbox, based on a formula that matches image names. I know manual image import from Dropbox is already possible via Filestack, it’s just not usable via formula/script.

SDOK_Blog
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

HI everyone.
I was searching for a solution to Upload files through URL, and I found for myself an automation software called Integromat. It’s like Zapier, but as for me much flexible and easier to use. Also there is no limitation for steps, just for operations/month (in the free version).
I created a little video of how to use it. Hope this will be helpful.
Video - https://youtu.be/ucoXsRejUT0

Rachael_Compton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be insanely useful in tracking my digital art pieces and prints. I’d appreciate being able to link to my works and sort who bought what based on that image without being limited by the file size.