Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Location

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacob_Clayton
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Could you add a new data type for locations? Types of locations that would be useful are:
-Address (123 First St, City, State)
-Lat / Long (31.12345, -110.12345)
-Military Grid Reference System (11S NV 12345 12345)

This would be incredibly useful if the location is a hyperlink to a map (similar to how an address in the Long Text data field will open up in Apple Maps).

Additionally, if a list of locations on a table could be viewed in a single map view allowing the map to display all of the locations from the table.

105 Comments
Noah_Deutsch
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please add this!!!

Erik_Askea
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

This is exactly what I was hoping to find for a trip I’m planning as well. If it is not a feature yet, please add! Thanks!

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Thanks for all of the feedback. We are definitely planning on developing an address/location field type! In the meantime, it’s always helpful for us to hear about the specific use cases for which you all would like an address/location field type. Trip planning is a great suggestion.

We haven’t actually gotten any requests for an MGRS field type, but that’s really interesting as well. Why would you want MGRS geocoordinates specifically?

Jacob_Clayton

I am a commanding officer for a military unit and we use Airtable for operational planning (training only). It’s very popular in my unit. I would use the MGRS field for planned locations of units or assets, locations of planning symbols (link up points, line of departure, etc.) and as a report tracker with current location. The last use case would assume that you can add a ‘Use My Location’ function to add the user’s current location in the field. I can’t emphasis how useful this could be. Right now we use various tools that are outdated and don’t work well together. This would allow us to seamlessly syncronzie our information to include location data.

Jacob_Clayton

Just a thought - the location field could also be used in conjunction with the barcode scanner field to show the last location you scanned an item.

Mario_Pavlovic
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is our use case: we are on demand concierge service for travelers, and people tend to ask us about best hotels around the city center, best restaurants/bars/nightclubs around their hotel and so on. That’s why we have a lot of items that are tied to a location. Searching through map (or any other location based search) would speed up our process by at least two fold.

I just wanted to say that I’m a developer and I could spin up my own database, but airtable is just so good that I don’t need to. In future, limitations like this + scale will force us to move to our database (probably). We just like airtable so much and it helps us focus on our core business (and not technical things) that we’ll try to use it as much as possible as long as possible :slightly_smiling_face: Keep on the good work! :thumbs_up:

Michael_Gehrman

In a private Project I am currently helping friends of mine running a funeral service. Airtable would be great to store the location an contact points of places of worship in their area. For some of these places, e.g. in the middle of a forest, a street address is not applicable. Marking Lat/Long on a map would be perfect.

With the given API we could even publish some locations on their site. Showing them on a map.

Typically we would use the Google Maps API or tools like leaflet JS to publish the data.

Wassili_Lust
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, Location is a must! It seems perfectly in line with Airtable, which is the use of spreadsheets that interact with useful media.

I run a large area delivery business, and my drivers need a location. Please add this function.

Joshua_Soule
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I agree, a location with address and lat/lon would be very useful!! If tapped, it would give “open in…” option to open in Google Maps or iOS Maps or other GPS apps. If long pressed, it would allow copy to clipboard so that user can paste into another field or app.

Luzius_Fischer

Location would be awesome!
Having the option of a map view, to see all the locations on a map, would be really nice.
When scouting and scheduling locations for film, it’s great to have a visual reference of what’s where.

Also, clickable map links and a small map next to a record would be useful.
(similar to what certain calendar applications, like apple calendar have)