Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Location

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jacob_Clayton
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Could you add a new data type for locations? Types of locations that would be useful are:
-Address (123 First St, City, State)
-Lat / Long (31.12345, -110.12345)
-Military Grid Reference System (11S NV 12345 12345)

This would be incredibly useful if the location is a hyperlink to a map (similar to how an address in the Long Text data field will open up in Apple Maps).

Additionally, if a list of locations on a table could be viewed in a single map view allowing the map to display all of the locations from the table.

105 Comments
Imran_Akbar

Would be very nice to be able to capture location from the mobile app, and view it as a marker on Google Maps or Mapbox from within Airtable.

Damian_Romard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Iโ€™d like to see a feature for location. Some great examples in this thread, but Iโ€™ll just (maybe repeat) my considerations:

If the location data type will accept grids, then you probably need to consider a generic use, similar a hybrid system. Datum types are not all just floats or ints. Some include letters, like the very popular UTM system. Or specifically incorporate a list of available datum types and their handlers. That will be a big list; just look at the datum types in a modern handheld GPS. This product makes data management so accessible to typical non-programmers, there will be a wide range of industries taking advantage.

A way to determine โ€˜my location,โ€™ or set a location that would enable a mileage lookup, maybe using OpenStreet Map or Googleโ€™s APIs. This would be a big win for calculating l=mileage on expense reports or for tax reasons.

The ability to embed a map based on location data.

entropic
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 here. Would be nice for client information.

Alex_Arredondo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This sounds awesome. I already do this using goole maps, but its a bit of a workaround.

Justin_Tuley1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on this as well. Locations would be great, especially when linking through the mobile app for vendors that you have set up so you can quickly switch to a direction mode.

Mark_Macas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Voting for this feature. Coordinates data and an integration with Google Maps is valuable!

Anton_Preisinge

+1 for this feature.

I have a garden almanac table that could use something like this. I think it would work as described above but for my particular application Iโ€™d love to add a map as its own tab and select locations or regions on the map as data points. Might not even be possible but I would use this to define specific garden areas and could even start logging specific planting location. The map neednโ€™t be an interactive map (ie Google maps) but even a jpeg that could be tagged to create data points would be amazing.

Kara_Carrell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

ANOTHER +1 for location field!

there are SO MANY use cases, and this is a super easy way for non-dev types learning to code to engage with how data can be used quickly and impactfully.

i canโ€™t wait to see this implemented!!

It would also easily turn to a โ€œmap viewโ€ like calendar view, etc.

Ricardo_Peixoto

I would like to suggest a map view that could โ€œreadโ€ a field set as location and then project on a map all the records of a databaseโ€ฆ

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey everyone! I know thereโ€™s been a lot of interest in a location field type/map view, across many different use casesโ€”so weโ€™re excited to announce that weโ€™re rolling out a beta for maps! You can sign up here. (Please note that paid users will get priority access to this new round of beta features.)