Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Data Type: Location

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jacob_Clayton
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Could you add a new data type for locations? Types of locations that would be useful are:
-Address (123 First St, City, State)
-Lat / Long (31.12345, -110.12345)
-Military Grid Reference System (11S NV 12345 12345)

This would be incredibly useful if the location is a hyperlink to a map (similar to how an address in the Long Text data field will open up in Apple Maps).

Additionally, if a list of locations on a table could be viewed in a single map view allowing the map to display all of the locations from the table.

105 Comments
Kelvin_Floyd
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Try adding a formula field like
"www.google.com/maps/place/" & YourAddressField & " " & AnotherFieldIfNeeded

When you cick on that url it will open google maps and search for that address. It might not work for all but if there is enough address info google should find it. havent tried the link on a mobile yet but shoudl be able to give you directions from the maps app.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Itโ€™s likely mentioned above, or in other threads, but if you know your latitude and longitude, or can look them up, formulas like these work great:

(((โ€œwww.google.com/maps/place/โ€ & Latitude) & โ€œ,โ€) & Longitude) & โ€œ/10zโ€

What we canโ€™t do is view multiple records on one map, unless deploying something like Airmaps: http://timdietrich.me/blog/airtable-api-airmaps-demo-web-app/

I assume a true Location field and Maps view are on Airtableโ€™s roadmap; canโ€™t wait!

Paul_Mundy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Kelvin_Floyd: the formula fails if an address contains spaces. Try this one, which replaces the spaces with underlines: ((โ€œwww.google.com/maps/place/โ€ & SUBSTITUTE(YourAddressField, " ", โ€œ_โ€)) & โ€œ_โ€) & AnotherFieldIfNeeded

Carlos_Martin1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, it would be great. Iโ€™m building a supplier and vendors database so my team can access their information, and being able to search suppliers by location would be great. Imagine you have a new Map view, where you have all the suppliers from your Airtable and you get all the information when clicking on their location in the map.

Jack_Franz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am a new Airtable user. I am impressed with the product but surprised there is not the ability to make an address link to Google maps.

Does Airtable review this forum to prioritize future enhancements? Thx.

Andrew_Enright
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Oh Airtable is here; and Iโ€™m sure Location is a priority on their roadmap. In the meantime, if you can spin-up a PHP server, try Airmaps: http://timdietrich.me/blog/airtable-api-airmaps-demo-web-app/

A.

Paul_Sawaya
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Big +1 for this. Would love it to auto-populate with my current location, as the Date field auto-populates with todayโ€™s date.

Kerry_Kriger
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,
I could use pre-populated countries (with editable names as I may want USA even when you want United States). Also pre-populated list of states for USA, Canada and Australia (again editable as I may want CA and you want California). Also, lat/long geo-location of some sort so if a photographer wants to upload their location for where they sighted an endangered frog, we can easily accommodate that data. Thank you! www.savethefrogs.com

Mo_re
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 also from my side! Thank you.

Michael_Appleto
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be a very important feature!
Some use cases:

• Customer location
  • Trip planning
  • Places list