Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Field Type: Button

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

It would be useful to have a “Button” field type that you could use to trigger an action (e.g., perform a calculation, run a Block, trigger a Zapier Zap, run a script, run small automations, etc.). Even though some of this functionality can currently be hacked-together using other fields like checkboxes in conjunction with Views and Zaps, this is something that has to be explained ad nauseam to new users. So, instead of having a “Submit” checkbox in a workflow that can accidentally ticked, having a distinct “Submit” button would be much, much more clear to novice/infrequent users.

This is a feature currently offered by Coda.

image.png

20 Comments
BillFrench
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Yep, okay. I was hoping there were actual webhooks but had never really found any.

Yep, was aware of that approach too and another one where Slack was used as a proxy for quasi-webhook activity.

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Buttons would be great for interacting with Blocks. For instance, we could have a button to “show on map”, which could open up the blocks panel and zoom to that record on a Map Block. Or a “open PDF” button which will pull up its Page Designer page.

At the very least, we should have this kind of functionality and I think record buttons are a good way to implement them.

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’d also like other ways to trigger or automate actions in Blocks. For example, I have a personal Expenses base where I log all my receipts. I use the Google Vision Block to OCR scan all receipts periodically in a “No OCR” view (once OCRed via the GV Block, the records disappear from that view).

However, I have to manually trigger the GV Block whenever I want it to run. Granted, I could probably use Zapier webhooks to automate this outside of the GV Block by directly leveraging the GV API, but I’d much rather be able to either A) set the GV Block to automatically run on new records in a given view, or B) run on a set schedule (e.g., daily, weekly). Also, Blocks can’t be accessed or viewed on Mobile, so I have to do view the Web or Desktop app.

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I believe he’s referring to the Airtable triggers available in Zapier:

image.png

Now what I think would be great is if Airtable could create something similar to what Coda offers in their “Packs” functionality. This could be another block (e.g., Scripting block or Workflows block) that basically offers a visual script builder, much like in Zapier or the various other integration services.

image.png

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Button fields are in beta now. You can sign up for the beta at this link here:

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I look forward to trying this out :slightly_smiling_face:

Max_Joles
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a pro account and I’m signed up for the beta, but the only actions I see available for the button are “Open Page Url”.

Am I missing something? How do I access the other actions like triggering a script?

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 2.21.21 PM

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

If you were in the first batch of the beta, they would have sent you an email with a link to reupdate your account with the new actions. If not, you may have to do a hard browser refresh.

Max_Joles

Thanks Kamille. I tried a hard browser refresh, but didn’t see any changes… Any other ideas?

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I had to click the link from a computer, as I didn’t work from my phone. Also, I recall it not happening instantly and it seemed like I had to click it 2 or 3 times.