Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Field Type: Lock Record

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathan_Lefebv
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This will be the perfect addon after the " Field & table editing permissions" and help avoiding so much errors!

As simple as a checkbox, when it’s TRUE nobody can modify the record (except for formula, Rollup, Lookup fields)

It could be the same look as checkbox but simply using the image of a lock.

As options for the field ;

• ACTIVATE/DESACTIVATE Scripts can modify record while he’s locked (Could also select wich script)
  • ACTIVATE/DESACTIVATE Blocks can modify record while he’s locked (Could also select wich block)
  • ACTIVATE/DESACTIVATE Kanban view can modify record while he’s locked (Could also select wich view)
  • ACTIVATE/DESACTIVATE Calendar view can modify record while he’s locked (Could also select wich Calendar view)
  • ACTIVATE/DESACTIVATE Disable button fields while lock
  • CHOOSE 1 OR MANY Fields you want to lock when activated (by default it would be all field, the same was as “Modified by” & “Last Time Modified” field)

How I would use it :

In my expense tracking base I would add a “Lock Record field”. Then I would set this field permission as ONLY my accountant would be able to edit it. Then when he validate the amount of the expense in the bank, all other user will not be able to modify the amount anymore.

Same thing for a purchasing request base, if the manager agree to buy the item the employee requested, when he will lock the record the employee will no longer be able to change qty and item description.

2 Comments
Mitchell_Lovell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Great suggestion.

I would also benefit greatly from a lock feature. Though I would also like it to prevent changing formula, rollup, and lookup fields. I would distinguish this function from Jonathan’s “lock record” by calling it “freeze record.” Freezing records would ensure the integrity of records.

How I would use a FREEZE RECORD option.
I keep track of items loans and users. The users a grouped into categories that can change. The items are packaged in kits in which the accessories might change over time as well. Should details of a user or item be updated, I don’t want that to reflect past records of the loans associated with them.

My workaround in the meaning is
exporting a CSV of the values at the end of each quarter. This acts as an archive.
creating automation that updates a text field with the fields I wish to freeze when I change the status of the record to “FREEZE” or “COMPLETE”.

Tobias_LGKR
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Yes and I would even go one step further.

There is a need to FREEZE records, that should not be altered, no matter what happens in Formulas, Rollups, Lookups or Reference fields. Similar to what happens when you copy a table to another base. All these automated field get turned in to text fields.

This is legally relevant for any record that should not be altered after it has been created.