Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Field Type: Nested Table

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenInDallas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

As we’ve been testing AirTable for our business’s project management needs, one thing we’ve had trouble setting up is something like an expense report, purchase order, or mileage report.

Our typical reports would be a single printable document with several standard pieces of data (job name/number, purchase date, vendor info, billing method, etc), and a table containing purchase info (item, qty, price) with totals at the bottom.

In Airtable, you can currently accomplish something like this with two tables (let’s call them “Expense Reports” and “Expense Items”) with the latter connected to the former with a “Link” field. But it’s a bit clumsy, because you’d have one table with each “report” and another table that contains lots and lots and lots of expense items that likely have nothing to do with each other. More importantly, it’s not really possible to export the data from each Report while including the Expense Item data.

A more elegant solution would be a field type called “Nested Table.” This would create (within a record) a small table/spreadsheet with customizable columns, simple math functions, and the ability to add rows on-the-fly.

Thoughts?

28 Comments
Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

A related Table through Linked Record field is already a nested table (kind of). I have an Events base and I generate invoices in it. I have an Events table, and a Services linked to it, and in the Page Designer block I just add the Services field, and of course the Customer and Event data.

BenInDallas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Elias, there are probably many examples where a linked records field could serve the purpose. And I’ve certainly experimented with that. But I think my initial example (an expense report with several line items) is one where linking to another table would be cumbersome, clunky, and prone to errors.

Another good example is a checklist, or a log (a list of notes sorted by date).

In all those examples, what you need is a SINGLE record with multiple lines of data that is distinct and segregated from other records. Linking to another table would be a nightmare for this kind of info.

It’s further complicated by the fact that Airtable’s interface makes it a PITA to view data in linked records.

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I’ve replied to @Randi_Leist:

Captura de pantalla 2019-03-22_03-59-33_p. m..png

And obviously to @Helen_Vaskevitch, as I’ve cited her.

Anyway, I have both ‘log’ and ‘line item’ types tables, and with the use of Shift + Space and the Expanded Record feature, I can handle them very well.

Also, I have a Page Designer for invoices, that mainly is the same than this:

You can Group them by report, or just ignore the whole table. I rarely open the Line Items tables.

What do you mean? I’d use the Page Designer and you can include as many fields from the Line Items as you want.

shop_taha
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Me too
Need this to be able to use on my project

Sharhan_Shukor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any new development on this ? Hope Airtable team don’t ignore this request.

mdmtr
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This would be a game changer. We need this feature badly.

We use one-to-many relationships to manage order contents in two tables.
Basically, multiple items (rows in table A) link to one record (table B). Seeing the linked records in table A in the expanded record view in table B would be insanely helpful.

Hamlin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

In my mind the way to do this is with the ‘Link to another record’ field type. Add two toggles: one to ‘Display as portal’, and one to ‘Allow record creation’. Follow that up with a way to select the visible fields within the portal.

I-Wen_Lai
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any follow-up to this discussion? I really need this feature! It really is necessary.