Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Prefix Suffix to number entry

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Michael_Chou
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there a way to add a prefix or suffix to a number entry. Really important feature!

7 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, Michael! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Can you give an example of a prefix/suffix youโ€™d like to add to numerical values? There might be a way to pull it off via a formula.

Marcus_McLean
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Justin_Barrett could be cool for units. For example, 42 would be formatted as 42 g, 42 km, etc.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Good point. Not sure why 2019 me didnโ€™t think of that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Frederic_Fauger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to automatically generate a prefix when performing a manual input in a field. Ex:

Automatically generated prefix = 21
Manually inputed value = 222

Result in the field = 21222

Thank you

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Frederic_Faugere! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: This might be possible, but not in a very clean/convenient way. Itโ€™s possible to design an automation that looks for changes in a given field and updates the entered value with a predetermined prefix/suffix/???, but the problem comes in the timing. If the automation triggers directly on the field change, it could interrupt what you type, leading to an incomplete replacement. A delay could be designed, but if you want the result sooner, waiting for that delayed trigger might be frustrating. And then thereโ€™s the possibility that having an automation trigger on changesโ€”instant or delayedโ€”to a field and make changes to the same field, that might end up triggering an endless automation loop. (I think that Airtable distinguishes between automation-based changes vs manual changes, but I havenโ€™t run any concrete tests, so I canโ€™t be sure.)

While it would be very convenient to have some automated process create the modified output you want in the same field, I suggest using a formula field to take the value you enter and output the modified value that you want.

BenFortunato

This is a pretty basic feature. You want the data to be stored as a number not as text but to be displayed with the proper units. 

jakclark
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is this still not a feature?