Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Prevent creation of blank records in a table

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Would it be possible to make it impossible to create blank records in Airtable - itโ€™s so easy to create these that bases become littered with them. Itโ€™s even worse if you accidentally add a record in a grouped view because linked record are created which are otherwise blank.

One way to do this would be to give the user the option of making one or more fields โ€˜requiredโ€™ - and without them the record would not submit.

I find having to constantly delete such empty records quite annoying!

46 Comments
Pierre-Louis_Fi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Same frustration here ! Please do somethingโ€ฆ

Michael_Furdyk
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just want to add our name to this list - we are about to move a large system into Airtable and I can already see the autonumbering of blank records being a problem! Please add some way to disable creating records through the Grid View click, or ability to limit only certain users from creating records in a table. In the table weโ€™re working with, we only want the API to create new records.

Conan_Phelan
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Me too. In my case, empty records break the R package that I use to import data via the API.

Russell_Bishop1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Also - if you โ€˜Undoโ€™ the action, you canโ€™t see proof that you deleted it because you couldnโ€™t see it in the first place. Usability nightmare!

Pierre-Louis_Fi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It seems that Grouping by a Computed Field prevents to add any new record.
An unpleasant solution could be to group all records on one unused computed field.

Screenshot 2020-04-04 23.07.00

Downside : You cannot add new record from this Grid view anymore.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We created a tool that can help automate the process of deleting blank records. It doesnโ€™t solve the autonumbering issue though.

Automatically Delete Records in Airtable View

Andrew_Suh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Oh man, I would love to be able to add friction/restrict row creation to overt intentful actions like clicking a button. Itโ€™s so easy to pollute the view and the UI spazzes out because itโ€™s trying to sort against the multiple prioritization rules I have in place. +1-ing this like crazy!

FLib
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Iโ€™m a new user but this is my current only issue

Michael_Andrew
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+1 very frustrating feature. I would like the option to turn this off.

Similar request

Y_Kerbens
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think I find a hack to solve this issue which require the creation of one empty additional table that I call Locker and which contains on two attribute (locker and creation date). My locker table will not have any records.
Step 1: creating the Locker Table with the attributes (locker and creation date).
Step 2: Let say I have three primary tables namely TableA, TableB and TableC on my base. I link each of these tables with my Empty Locker table and choose my โ€œlockerโ€ attribute as a lookup field
Step 3: TableA, TableB and TableC based on the newly created โ€œlockerโ€ look up field (if you did previously have some groups, remote them first)
Step 4: Restore your previous grouping if there was any
Step 5: Hide the two newly added fields from TableA, TableB and TableC (cause these field wonโ€™t have any record)

Now the question is how to prevent creating empty records from the Locker table itself?
If you have a premium account you can just lock this view so no one can either add or delete any record. If you donโ€™t have a premium account you can just group this table based on the โ€œcreation dateโ€ attribute