Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Prevent creation of blank records in a table

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Would it be possible to make it impossible to create blank records in Airtable - itโ€™s so easy to create these that bases become littered with them. Itโ€™s even worse if you accidentally add a record in a grouped view because linked record are created which are otherwise blank.

One way to do this would be to give the user the option of making one or more fields โ€˜requiredโ€™ - and without them the record would not submit.

I find having to constantly delete such empty records quite annoying!

46 Comments
Dennis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Every time I run into an Airtable issue and google it, I find this forum.

And every time

• thereโ€™s a very old thread thatโ€™s still active because itโ€™s still an open problem
  • airtable has not yet responded or acknowledged the issue
  • the community attempts to find awkward workarounds

Iโ€™m starting to think this forum is the dumping ground for the community to try helping each other without having any real power to improve the product, until an actual airtable team triages through these and prioritises them.

Please spend time on quality of life improvements. If it werenโ€™t for attachments, Iโ€™d ditch Airtable.
Iโ€™m using sheets with grouped views and creating accidental empty records happens all the time.

Gunter_Otte
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Iโ€™m sharing exactly the same feeling, but as long my clients are insisting on using AirTable, there is not much I can do besides making workarounds and trying to live with the issuesโ€ฆ

nnnnneil
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Bump bump for this issue. Double click to create new record could be a solution?

Olivier_Blanqua
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

same issue but looking at this thread from 2017โ€ฆ

B_A
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Fast forward from 2017 to 2022, the issue still persists :man_facepalming:

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can now use table permissions to prevent creation of records in a table.

B_A
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@ScottWorld, thatโ€™s not what I want, and from what I can see not what most people here want. What we want to prevent is the (accidental) creation of blank records. The solution is pretty straightforward - we need an equivalent to the MySQL โ€œNOT NULL constraintโ€.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable doesnโ€™t offer record validations. All new records start off as blank, and you canโ€™t tell when somebody is done interacting with a record, so youโ€™d have to come up with some other way to delete blank records after the fact โ€” either manually or via an automation. If you go down the automation route, this can currently only be automated by writing a custom script or using an external automation tool like Integromat.

You can always support@airtable.com to ask them to add validations into their product, but my guess is that itโ€™s unlikely to happen anytime soon.

B_A
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I see what you say. Then again, you donโ€™t get $735 million Series F funding if youโ€™re doing something thatโ€™s easy to do :winking_face:

Gunter_Otte
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is this for API creation as well? What I like to see is no manual (blank) creation, but creation via API allowed.