Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

"Freeze" Group headings

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessica_Pena
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect
What is the proposed idea/solution?

When using the "Group by" feature, Treat the group heading as a frozen row so that it follows the user down the page until the next 'group' heading takes over, or at least make this an option for users who would find it convenient. If there are subgroups

How does is solve the user problems? 

It doesn't make the user try to recall what the 'group' category is if they are having to scan several records that fall within a single group. I love Airtable, but this is a nightmare for a person with ADHD. I sometimes have to scan back up the page multiple times to see what 'group' records fall under. 

How was this validated?

Who is the target audience? 

I think many folks would find this useful, but as a neurodivergent Airtable user who has loved being able to create systems with Airtable that *mostly* work for my brain, this one is a working memory nightmare.

2 Comments
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It's not quite the same as what you are requesting, but freezing columns might help you. Move the grouped column so that it is right next to the primary field. Then extend the number of frozen columns so that both the primary field and the grouped field are frozen.

Marcel_Bradea
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would actually be extremely useful, and is something that would significantly improve our workflows.

We use groupings for pretty much all over our Airtables, and use multi-level (3 of them) to be able to partition data by global regions, however we're constantly getting lost about "where" in the data-set we currently are.

This feature should be implemented with a floating breadcrumb with each sub-group having a drop-down that allows you to jump to a specific sub-section:

Europe ▾ > Spain ▾ > Costa Del Sol ▾

NOTE: This sticky group header feature is already implemented in the Interface Viewer sidebar – albeit without the drop-down "jump to" behaviour – so it would be a matter of bringing over the feature to the main spreadsheet view as well!