Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Roll Ups for Fields Linked Within The Same Table

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Constance_Brown
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a table where the linked fields are references to other rows in the same table. I want to create a roll up field, but this isnโ€™t allowed because the links arenโ€™t to another table. Would it be possible to remove this restriction?

16 Comments
Sean_O_Shea
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the tip about copying the base. Iโ€™m not asking anyone to write up a wikiโ€”just to edit a few links in the same spirit of helping others that prompted them to put in the work to begin with. Linking directly to the answer with the solution would help community members benefit from their hard work and contributions, instead of going down a link rabbit hole and possibly not finding the right page.

William_Nutt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Bewildered as to why this would not be a feature. Please implement!

Seongji_Kim
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a must! The concept of Airtable is great, but Iโ€™m starting to experience that it is definitely lacking some of these essential features we need to be able to take a full advantage of the platform. I donโ€™t imagine this is such a difficult feature to add. Please add this feature! :pray: :pray: :pray:

Dharamveer_Sing

So, I should probably make a copy of the same table and then link up to it :man_shrugging:

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

That sounds as if it would next to impossible to maintain. Instead, I was talking about an all-to-one link from every record in your main table to a single record in a second table. This post and referenced base goes into much more detail about the technique and potential uses.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi everyone! Lookup, rollup, and count fields now support looking up, rolling up, and counting from a linked record field that has been linked to its own table. This will make it easier to model the relationships between records that exist in the same table. Going to go ahead and set a timer for this thread to closeโ€”thank you all for your patience, and happy linking!