Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Save and or combine filters from multiple views

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
airballer86
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would like to copy filters from multiple views and combine them in one single view. I'm getting to the point where one view has what I need and I want to compare it with another view. The current solution is to hire an engineer to write a script or painstakingly rebuild one filter onto an existing one. 

I've seen this idea before and will hope a new 'request' will resurface the need for more reusable functionality around filters.  

4 Comments
Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Hi,
I don't think script can help, as views has no methods in scripting to read or write their filter conditions. The only thing you can get is a list of records. Of course, you can write a script to see how much records seen in combined 2 or 3 views, but I doubt you will use it often.
What I can say - if your view became so complex that you struggle to combine a filter from several views, you can transfer it to a formula, add it as a field and thus simplify it to a single condition.

airballer86
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

@Alexey_Gusev Please expand on how I can turn filters in to formulas? It's early my time, so I'm hoping it's obvious and I just need a coffee.

Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Actually it's 
{Name} is not empy => IF({Name,  
{Name} contains 'son' => IF(FIND('son', {Name} ),
the rest mostly "as is". To hardcode exact date in formula , use ISO format
'any of', 'none of' => use FIND rather of '='
array types like Lookup - sometimes need &"" or CONCATENATE() to convert to string

often you can use math and text functions to shorten, like 
Owner type = ...   and there are 8 possible types, where you need 3 of 8 and all begins with "Owner..", while others 5  - no.   So, it can be IF(LEFT({Owner type},5)='Owner' ,  .....)

I also tried to screenshot the filter, give it to chatbot and asked for formula. With minor fixes, it worked. You can't rely on chatbot without some knowlewdge on  a subject and without verifying it's result (at least number of records filtered) .  But it's a good helper for simple and routine things, like Formulas, REGEX and T-SQL

airballer86
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

@Alexey_Gusev 

It's been a long week, so I apologize in advance if this is an obvious question; if I create a filter formula field, do I just filter off of that field?