Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

[SOLVED] Ability to Design a Page for Printing

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Patrick_Meier
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Im not sure where Airtable is headed. But id be happy to print a customer a nice Paper with all the Products he ordered. I guess id like to make different form views like in Filemaker.

73 Comments
Quentin_Karmark
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I think an ideal argument for being able to export data via XML etc is so that individual components of a document such as a proposal or insurance policy can be maintained via Airtable, and then those elements can be exported to populate a custom printed document with the customerโ€™s info, terms, etc. Thatโ€™s the functionality I would most appreciate.

Nicho_Worth

It would be nice to have a print option that had the pictures in a bigger size. I use airtable as a client database and have a profile picture for each person. When I go to print a list of clients it would be nice to have the pictures bigger so you can actually see what the individual looks like. Right now I have to print each clients profile individually if I want to have their picture big enough. Any suggestions? Also is this anything airtables developers plan to implement in the future?

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

+1 for this.

Iโ€™m using Airtable to track customers that take out a warranty for one of my products.

The data I need is already in Airtable, but Iโ€™m duplicating it all by making a piece of branded documentation for the customer to take away. If I could generate the print out within Airtable itself that would be killer.

Adding the word processing capabilities to make the documents within Airtable itself would probably be a lot of work, but I bet thereโ€™d be a smart way to do this with a Google Docs integration.

Something like - Set a Google Doc as a template file, fill it with markers like $$Customer Name$$, $$Customer Address$$ etc as a signal for where Airtable should put the information from the record, and then Airtable generates additional documents based on the initial template file with the Customer Name and Address filled out accordingly.

You could have a new field type for Actions where youโ€™d process these on the fly. So there could be a Create Printout button which would tell Google Docs to make a new documents based on the record Create Printout was clicked in. Then, since that document had been generated, the button could change to View Printout.

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Follow up: You can do a decent job of this by using Zapier with WebMerge.

Parashar_Shah
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have recently joined air table. The product is great and Easy to use. I found that it lacks in formatted reports.

It would be nice to be able to be able to print documents frequently needed in any business operation like Work Orders, invoices, Purchase orders, Pay slips.

To be able to be used in business environment, this capability is must. Hope this feature will be added soon.

Joe_Shimpfky
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I just joined air table over the weekend and really, really like what I see. I own a small human-services agency. Air tableโ€™s spreadsheet as a DB functionality has fantastic promise to help me manage client and employee details, in a team environment. To really deliver on that promise, however, I require the ability to output data in a custom template or at least in form view (provided we could control data was presented on the form).

Please, please make that happen soon!

Sincerely,

Joe

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Just wanted to let you all know that we are reading your feedback and taking it into consideration! Based on the popularity of this topic, it seems like more options for printing are really important for a lot of our users.

Patrick, Rick, and Joeโ€”all of you mentioned your desire for a printable form view. Would any of you care to expand on what you mean by that? Did you mean having all of the information for a single record in a single page, with all of the fields aligned vertically (like how Andrew mentioned, way back at the beginning of this thread)? How does the current layout of our forms/our expanded records compare to your ideal printable form view?

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your feedback. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Rick_Swearingen

Katherine,
I meant a similar situation as the old Bento many of us used prior to Airtable where I might setup a custom print option. This custom print option would allow me to print only fields I would select to be printed and fit to a standard page size (8.5x11).

Example:
I have an event setup where we photograph and sell products. We would like to use Airtable to document many facets of the session including the clients name, address, image number chosen, package ordered etcโ€ฆ
I need the ability to print this information and pass it on to the client as a receipt of which items were purchased as well as the cost associated and a couple of other fields but NOT include all field in the database as we have up to 40 fields that are not necessary to be printed on the page.

We would need these items

1. Ability to pick fields printed
  2. Ability to arrange the fields on the page in columns (not just one field per line)
  3. Not a priority but the ability to choose the paper size I would be printing on.
  4. Ability to include headers and footers (in other words brand the print with company logo, info, etc.) Also nice but not an immediate necessity.
  5. Ability to save this information into a favorite, or default for that particular database template.

Thanks for looking into this.

Rick

Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Maybe the way to do this for individual records should be similar to mail merge?

Have a new field type called Document Merge. Within the field options would be 2 settings, one to upload a template document, and the second to set a name parameter. Then within each record would be a field containing a button that called the name parameter (For example โ€˜View Invoiceโ€™ or โ€˜Customer Summaryโ€™)

The template document could have a structure like:

{Airtable_Customer_Created_Date}

Dear {Airtable_Customer_Title} {Airtable_Customer_Name},

Thanks for purchasing the {Airtable_Product_Name}.

et cetera

A way to design a printout for all records in a view would be awesome as well.

Mark_Youngquist
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes Yes! I run inventories, and invoicing through filemaker, but their iOS options are clunky and severally limited. If air table had the ability for me to layout an invoice, like an input form but already filled in, that would rule. The ability to sum numbers columns would be handy as well, and options for print layouts seems like a must for me.