Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Sort by last name

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken_Moholt-Sieb
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It would be helpful to sort a table by last name, when you have a single field for the whole name. I envision this being a check option when you choose sort options. Presently, when you choose the option “Sort”, you get the option to sort A->Z or Z->A. I am thinking that there would be a line immediately below those two buttons that would show up (only when the sort field was a single-line text field?) that would offer: “First, Middle, Last”, “Last, First, Middle”, “Last, Middle, First”. This option would be very useful for names, but would have applications for other uses, I imagine.

There is a prior topic that is similar, that suggests adding a special field type for names.

1 Comment
Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

The recommended workaround is to have first and last (and middle) names in different fields, which you then combine using a formula field (e.g. {Last Name}&", “&{First Name}&” “&LEFT({Middle Name},1)&”."). This formula field can be set as the primary field.