Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Sparklines Field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I know we have blocks and all that, but it would be really useful to have a little sparkline based off of a rollup or something.

If you don’t know what a sparkline is, check it out on excel. Killer feature.

Could look like this (mind the chicken scratch): A line graph
image.png

Or this: A profit/loss positive/negative bar chart
image.png

So basically quick little visuals built into the grid view (or card/Kanban view, for that matter)

4 Comments
Ian_Janes1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It turned out that the existing Histogram function (for summary bars in numeric fields) more or less solved the use case I happened to have in mind when liking this suggestion, but it would be fantastic if I could, as Aaron suggested, be able to display these on the individual record level, based on roll-ups.

I was trying to figure out even theoretical workarounds, and it occurred to me that maybe one could write a script that generates sparklines with… Vega-Lite or something? ( :man_shrugging: ) And then it’d attach them to their respective records. Such a thing is well beyond my scripting capabilities, but maybe someone reading this fancies a challenge. :slightly_smiling_face:

PK_Admin
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Curious… Wouldn’t that assume there are multiple numeric values in a single record using the same unit of measure? Can you provide a use case?

It makes sense when there are multiple records with a number field and the histogram is in the group summary bar. Just not understanding what the histogram would be referencing in a single record.

Nathaniel_Mahow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just posting here to keep this idea alive! I’m looking for exactly this functionality (sparklines, or the equivalent of inline stock charts like on yahoo finance). Is such a feature anywhere in the pipeline?

Ian_Janes1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Apologies, @PK_Admin – I missed this earlier – but that’s why roll-ups are relevant. If you have multiple linked records for a single record, then you can get multiple numeric values based on all of those linked records.

Let’s say I have two tables: one for e-learning courses that we create, and one for ratings that we receive for those courses. Each rating (from 1 to 5 stars) applies to one course only, but one course can obviously have many ratings. In the Rating table, I can group by course and then use the Histogram in the summary field to see the distribution of the ratings for each course. But I cannot see those Histograms in the Courses table, which is somewhat inconvenient as that’s where I’d prefer to see it – with all the course-specific fields, not all the rating-specific fields. I could make a roll-up field that lists every single rating for each course, e.g. as an array, but I cannot display that roll-up field as a sparkline.

Of course, at least here the histogram exists in the first place. If I wanted some other type of sparkline – a line chart, column chart, what-have-you – then I’m completely out of luck.

Hope this sheds some light on it!