Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Time Field Type

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Alan_Stokes
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I built a base to track my medicine but need a time field type to improve it. Any chance that could be developed? You probably want to build in standard time where user can designate their time zone and what is known as military time.

66 Comments
Mark_Morgan
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello @Alan_Stokes, I would recommend reading the following Support articles that I think will help you. In essence you would use the DATETIME_FORMAT function in a formula field (referencing your date column) and format it to include the time in 24-hour (military) standard of your choosing and with the time-zone you wish.

Please note you can also set your time zone on the original date field by setting it to โ€œLocalโ€ date format when configuring the field. So, you may not need to worry about the time zone in the formula field. And, on the date field if you choose to include time you have the options of 12- or 24-hour time formats also.

Article 1 - Supported format specifiers for DATETIME_FORMAT

Article 2 - Formulas and date fields

Article 3 - Date/Time field configuration

Hope this helps!

Sara_Richardson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

While I love the date/time field, I would also appreciate a separate time field. Because my Airtable is being exported and sent to others that require separate date and time columns, I am having to retype all my dates and times to align with that. I would really appreciate having a separate time field to go alongside the current field, or just the option of having the time with no date just like I can have the date with no time which would make it easy to switch over without losing or having to retype all of my data. It would also be much easier and more user friendly and less time consuming than figuring out how to use your formulas and formats. I have already tried a few times, but it never turned out right and I donโ€™t currently have any more time to try and figure it out. Hopefully after I have finished this task, I can take time to figure it out before I need it again.

Mark_Noonan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree with the usefulness of a field that is JUST the time in hours and minutes for timesheet style purposes. Currently seeing if I can make what I want to do work without that. Hopefully this suggestion is implemented - either as its own field or as a format of the number field?

Vernon_Fowler
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Time in hours and minutes without any specific dates is super useful. Another common use case is to log the amount of hours put into project work.
Need to be able to use arithmetic formulas to manipulate values to - many of these seem to exist already, for example, DATETIME_DIFF(). As long as we can aggregate hours and minutes (maybe there are cases for seconds, or even fractions of a second). The catch is that hours have a base of 24, minutes and seconds have a base of 60, and fractions of a second are base 10 (tenths, hundredths and so on). Not sure whether a format of a number field would work here. Though thereโ€™s definitely a case for the date independent Time Field Type. :slightly_smiling_face:

Subodh_Pareek
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

:thumbs_up: for this feature.
Till then I have figured out a rather convoluted way of doing a time based arithmetic. I first convert a time string to a date time field and then add hours there and convert it back to a time field. This is what the formula looks like:

DATETIME_FORMAT(DATEADD(DATETIME_PARSE(((DATESTR({Your Date}) & " ") & {Your Time}), 'YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm A'), -1, 'hours'), 'hh:mm A')

Vernon_Fowler
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Time on task - needs a time field type. Checklist for Planning Usability Studies gives time on task as an essential metric of usability testing.

Airtable is an awesome platform for user research data. Adding a time field type would allow us to collect and analyse data from usability studies. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Jesus_Aguado_Al
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also would like a separate timestamp field. Iโ€™m keeping track of some financial transactions, and I need to specify both the starting and the ending time. And since I use the date to group records, now I have three date fields: one just for the date and being able to group, another for the starting time and still another one for the ending time. It seems a bit redundant having the date three times in each record.

Christina_Kalel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another usability tester here, chiming in with the request. I know this is an old request, but I still donโ€™t see any way to put in time separately. In my case, our tests are pretty short and a min:sec field would be perfect.

Nick_Rothwell

For time-only fields I tend to use a datetime of 1970-01-01 HH:MM, and create a second formula field with DATETIME_FORMAT(_From, 'HH:mm') for display, hiding the original except when editing. So yes, a dedicated time-only data type would be good.

John_Beaudoin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+1 for a duration field in hh:mm:ss format (and that can be treated as a number for sorting and basic numeric functions)