Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Time Field Type

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_Stokes
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I built a base to track my medicine but need a time field type to improve it. Any chance that could be developed? You probably want to build in standard time where user can designate their time zone and what is known as military time.

66 Comments
Peter_Nelson2

Vernon, the current Duration field type doesn’t quite do it for me. My use case is a chain-of-custody style tracking of an item with a series of timestamps that don’t have start and end times for each record row, but that can be subtotaled with the first timestamp and the ending time essentially being the last time stamp. I did try creating this by making each timestamp a start and end time on it’s own and then summarizing the duration (in days) across records but I can’t figure out a way to do that with times.

Apparently I can’t embed a picture or URL link in my post reply to explain this in more detail.

Vernon_Fowler
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

You may need to “participate” a little more before you gain the permission to include a picture or URL in your forum posts. Try adding an emoji or editing an earlier post to earn the badges.

I’ve found Duration field type is close but not exactly meet my use case … That was a while ago now, so I’ll have to revisit.

Gerald_Griffith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on this since duration and time aren’t the same thing. Something I didn’t see pointed out here was that grouping by date is thrown off when using the combo of date/time since it creates a different group for each time slot instead of a group by date, then time. (see example below)

Currently:

Date
10am
Date
11am
Date
12pm

When it should be:
Date
10am
11am
12pm

===
One idea may be to adjust the settings on the current date options so you can enable/disable the visibility of date just like you can do for time.

Victoria_Ward
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also need a time field which allows for 24 hour times in the format 00:00

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If you want to use the duration field as a time field, but view the field as AM/PM here is a formula.

Notes:

• Enter durations as military time (0:00 through 24:00)
  • Durations from 0:00 - 11:59 will display as 12:00am - 11:59am
  • Durations from 12:00 - 23:59 will display as 12:00pm - 11:59pm
  • Both 0:00 and 24:00 will display as 12:00am
  • Times/durations greater than 24:00 will display “Error”
IF({Duration} < 3600,
  "12:" & IF((MOD({Duration}, 3600) / 60) < 10,
    "0" & INT(MOD({Duration}, 3600) / 60),
    INT(MOD({Duration}, 3600) / 60)
  ) & "am",
  IF({Duration} < 43200,
    INT({Duration} / 3600) & ":" & 
      IF((MOD({Duration}, 3600) / 60) < 10,
      ) & "am",
    IF({Duration} = 43200,
      "12:00pm",
      IF({Duration} < 86400,
        INT(({Duration} / 3600) - 12) & ":" & 
          IF((MOD({Duration}, 3600) / 60) < 10,
          ) & "pm",
        IF({Duration} = 86400,
          "12:00am",
          "Error"
        )
      )
    )
  )
)

Aline_Vida
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would like to see the ability to enter time with am and pm also.

Kat
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It’s quite strange that Airtable is willing to spend time to create a duration field type but so reluctant to create time field type (my conclusion after reading several articles in the community).

As a user, I just think a time field is the simplest way to fit my demand as I would like to have a field for entering the date, the start time, and the end time separately.

Though I know it can be done by using the current date field and “include time field” to allow the time entry. However, it will combine the date and time info into one field and I may need to create another column and use the “datetime format” to get the time data without the date display. This is an indirect and inconvenient way for users.

For the end time, currently, Airtable allows users to get it by creating the formula that combining the current date field (with time include), the duration field and datetime format formula to get the result. But once again, this is an indirect and inconvenient way for users.

Another problem using the current date field type that included the time in one field is that when I change to other views from Grid to Kanban or Calendar, it does not allow me to display the time only.

I just want to voice out my need (maybe it’s also the need of other people) and hope Airtable can put it into consideration (to create a time field type or to modify the current date field that allows users to select date only, time only or date and time together) in the near future.

Cinthya_Chin_He
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m having the same issue. I have to export with separate time and date columns. Is this something that there is a formula where I can display only the time from a date-time column?

Stephen_Otondi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello I am also asking that you add a Time field type.

elena_antoni
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

yes please - It is super hard to use the calendar properly for events, if these include events of different lengths - so some that are “all day” and others that have a specific time - as this basically means that we must include multiple fields which is time intensive and takes a lot of space