Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Time Field Type

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Alan_Stokes
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I built a base to track my medicine but need a time field type to improve it. Any chance that could be developed? You probably want to build in standard time where user can designate their time zone and what is known as military time.

66 Comments
Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hmmmโ€ฆ Maybe it is not implemented yet? I couldnโ€™t find it yet. Any suggestions where I can find it?
Regards Andrรฉ

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Duration is a new [and, as of yet, undocumented] field type; when I go to reconfigure a field, โ€˜Durationโ€™ is directly below โ€˜Dateโ€™ in the drop-down menu.

I donโ€™t think itโ€™s a beta offering; however, as @Shani_Taylor said in her letter, itโ€™s currently supported only on web and desktop apps. (You should have gotten the same message. To check, from your Airtable home page [the base selection page], click the โ€˜?โ€™ help icon and select โ€˜Contact support.โ€™ In the โ€˜Contact Supportโ€™ window, select 'See your past conversations` on the left-hand side of the screen. If you did receive it, it will be in the list of โ€˜Conversations with Airtable.โ€™ If you didnโ€™t receive it, it pretty much says what I posted in my earlier reply.)

Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Thanks. I will check that. I do know that the option is not in my dropdown menu.
Dropdown menu Field Type
Would be great.

Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

The Duration field type that @W_Vann_Hall mentioned is still in beta. You can sign up for early access to the duration field using our beta feature access form. Sorry for the confusion!

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Oops, my apologies. I thought it might be Pro only, but I couldnโ€™t find
anything that referred to it as beta. Itโ€™s freaking great, though. Kudos
and congratulations all around!

And now Iโ€™ll shut up about itโ€ฆ

Tyler_Nelson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I signed up for the duration field beta feature via the link above. Is this something that airtable will have to approve for me to access or should it kick in automatically?

Rachel_Brinson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Could you add a field type for Time only? The data I am working with has a column for start time and one for end time, apart from the date. This would be immensely helpful. Thanks!

Also, FYI, my data disappears when I use the date or number format.

Jonathan_Judels
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for time only field.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey everyone! Our latest field type, duration, just got released today. Itโ€™s designed to store time durations measured in hours, minutes, seconds, or milliseconds. There are five different formatting options, ranging from h:mm to h:mm:ss.sss. You can also now format the output of computed fields as durations, and use durations in formula fields. Check it out, and let us know what you think!

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 12.33.27 PM.png

Miquel_Capo_Cas
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi, I have seen the new duration field feature, but I found that is less practical than a date field to create time tracker or time recorder. Which I suppose it was created for.

With date field with time you can easily create a time tracker:

StartTime column with Data field
EndTime column with Data Field
Length column with the next Formula:
IF( NOT( (DATETIME_DIFF({EndTime}, {StartTime}, โ€˜minutesโ€™) / 60) > 0) , 0 , (DATETIME_DIFF({EndTime}, {StartTime}, โ€˜minutesโ€™) / 60))

With this you can create probably the same than with duration field. But the most useful part of date field is that you can click on the cell and click on โ€œTodayโ€ button to register the exact time you start or end, so this way you donโ€™t need to type the time on the cell every time you want to register a new start/end time.

So I think that put a simple button which enter the actual time when you click, would be the minimum requirement to change to duration field. Because I canโ€™t really see a big difference between data field and time field. Maybe are the seconds?

This is how I use it.
Captura de pantalla 2018-02-27 a las 14.00.34.png

Would be really useful to have the button โ€œTodayโ€ on the phone app.