Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Time (without date) field option

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Claire_Jeske
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello All,

Personally I use airtable to track things throughout the day, and I’ve found it quite annoying to not have a time field option that is separate from the date. Of course I can enter the time manually in a single line text entry, but I think since we can enter the date without the time it only makes sense that we be able to enter the time without the date. What do you all think? Is this something you would find useful or something you have wished for?

Claire

27 Comments
Bettina_Horvat1

In fact I found the solution, it’s a function
TIMESTR()

This extracts the time field from a date field. Works like a charm

Andrew_Smith1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey Bettina, can you provide further details on how you used TIMESTR()?

Thanks!

Kurt_Germaine
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Airtable is there any progress on this?

I need a time only function to manage and find out how well social media posts do at certain times, but there isn’t an option without a date (or even to hide it). Also annoyingly when trying to select the date time in the field as it currently is - it defaults to the current time and I have to click into the cell again to select the time I want. At least fix this behavior / give us the option to change the default behavior of the field.

Reading through ~3 years of history on this time thread and there’s still not a great solution. AT has been making a lot of headway on things, so hopefully they can continue fixing things like this.

Thanks for your time!

B-J_Meekings

Dear Airtable team,
Please can you reply to this with haste:
Will you be implementing a proper Time only field before the end of December 2022?

We need to know so we can decide if we are moving everything over to Smartsuite - who do have a proper Time field as requested here for years.
(They also have a few other fields that people have been waiting years for on Airtable with no concrete reply from you - Location fields come to mind for example.)
This is mission critical for a lot of us and our clients, and we have waiting long enough.
As such we have set our own cut of day of the end of this year 2022 for us and our clients.

Again, will you be implementing a proper Time only file before the end of 2022 please?
We will take silence to mean no, and suggest everyone else reading this does too.

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

I wouldn’t hold my breath. Airtable employees rarely read, let alone answer, posts in this community (although it has improved somewhat over the last weeks). Your best chance is to send an email to support@airtable.com.

Kurt_Germaine
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If we get loud enough, things do eventually change.

They finally fixed the horizonal scrolling issue after a few years haha. And we can now do more automations at least. It seems like they’re trying to grow and improve, probably because of competition like smartsuite. I’m glad to know about it in case we need to transition over too. That would be a major undertaking though, and I’d rather not do it.

@airtable, please listen to your customers!

Luc_Poitras

Hope that helps!