Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Timestamp for Long Text

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I think it would be useful to have the ability to insert a timestamp to Long Text fields. We use these fields for tracking activity and having a timestamp would make a huge difference. I envision it like a little calendar/clock icon next to the @ below the field, that when I click it inserts the current date/time (or I would even be able to pick which one to add)

I know that I could use comments, since they are timestamped; however, they are not truly part of the record as Long Texts are (as records copied via zap or in duplicate bases will not keep that info). Besides, they will get out of view as new activity is recorded in the history.

2 Comments
Emmett_Nicholas
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Is it important to timestamp the long text field only, or would a timestamp showing when any field in the record was last updated suffice?

Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would like a timestamp for the long text specifically, one thatโ€™s added to the content like mentions are. I want to be able to use the long text to track activity/stuff thatโ€™s not practicable to track in other ways (like with a distinct date/time field of its own) or to put a reference date to comments/decisions. Does it make sense?

What you say I liken to the recordโ€™s history. Yeah it may be good to have next to the field when it was last updated (one that you donโ€™t need to scroll the history to see), but to me itโ€™s not particularly important.