Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Use automation to trigger another automation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scn_tprime
5 - Automation Enthusiast

My automations would be much easier to maintain if, instead of duplicating an automation for each possible trigger, I could have an action in another automation that triggered it.

For example, I would like to send a certain email any time a button is pressed, and also under certain conditions if a form is submitted.

Instead of having two identical automations with different triggers, I'd like to have:

• one automation based on the button press that sends the email (and does nothing else), and
  • a form-triggered automation with a couple actions (unrelated to the email) and a conditional action that triggers the button-press automation to send the email. 
4 Comments
Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

A workaround could be to let your Interface button (I deduct from your post) update (check) a checkbox field that triggers automation 1 (with the last action to uncheck the checkbox). Automation 2 can be triggered by the incoming form and, as a last action, check the same checkbox that triggers automation 1. 

scn_tprime

Thanks @Databaser !

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Yes, although the workaround advised by @Databaser will work, it's still not elegant to gear a base to the teeth with even more work-around fields just to cater for limitations.

We're really needing a revamp of Automation Triggers, all of the triggers need far more granular configuration options, all of which I'm hoping will be part of Airtables 2023 development initiatives.

Databaser
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

It's safe to say that we all want a couple of things to get a revamp this year... 😬😶 Instead of pleasing new and potential Enterprise clients with new features -which are great, don't get me wrong, they'll hopefully also give some attention to improve existing features.