Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Using formula in automation fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arno_B
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,
The automation fields don’t currently allow calculations in fields.
For example, I want to create an automation that pulls the date from a selected record and adds or subtracts a number of days from that. It would be a very useful feature to automate some project tasks without having to manually enter the dates. I’m giving an example with dates but automation would be largely enhanced if we could use formulas in fields.
Thank you.

6 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, this would be very helpful.

In the meantime, you can create the formula fields in your table, hide them so you don’t have to see them, and then refer to those formula fields in your automation.

Nick_Thomas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi @ScottWorld – I’m attempting to copy a value from a formula field into a new field and it’s not pulling a value.

The goal is to create master filters in a different table, for example, Day of the week. Is this not supported?

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I’m not sure what you mean? Do you have a video or a screenshot of what you’re trying to do?

Nick_Thomas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Figured it out! I needed to convert the field to text with CONCAT or &“”.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Formula's within Automations are absolutely needed.

It's insanity to build Formula Field after Formula field, or, write a Script Action for what is often just a simple/tiny manipulation of data from a field - often incrementing or adding a number or two. Example screenshot below of what I image we could see.

Karlstens_0-1672901897238.png

Similarly to Script Actions not being available within a Pro Trial, Formulas within Automations could also be greyed out to prevent abuse. 

As much as MS PowerAutomate Flow grinds my gears, I do like the ability to write equations where I need to - and Airtable Automations would leave Flow in the dust if it had a similar Formula feature.

atusr
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

EssentiaL