Help

Re: Pre-filling linked records IS possible in a form!

1026 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrick_Ford1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

When using a form, you can pre-fill linked fields in forms by using the Record ID for the record you want into a single line text field instead of the actual name, then use Zapier, IFTTT, or (my personal favorite) Integromat to update the linked field with that record ID. I realize it’s cumbersome, but you just have to have it, it works. I do this for several of my forms.

30 Replies 30

Hi Lauren,

You should be able to prefill a field by editing the form share URL like in this article: https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/234982508-Prefilling-a-form

Keep in mind though that populating pre-fill data in the form view within the app or web-app is not possible. Only through share links and embeds can pre-filling of data be attained. This is also evident in the fact that you cannot submit data via a form view in the app or web-app.

Thanks, @Patrick_Ford1. I’ll look into that workflow…

cor
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi,
I have read through all this and other forum articles and have been trying for a while BUT I cant seem to prefill a form with a linked data field using the record_id in the URL with prefill_ parameter.

@Airtable or anyone else please can you share a basic example of an url that works? or some info on restrictions or what might not work in this case?

TIA

Cor

Hi @cor I believe you would have to change the field name to something that does not have symbols in it that confuse the URL. For example putting slashes in a field name could be misread, as could the underscore, as in your case. Try renaming the field name.

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hey @cor! Rather than using the record_id, you’ll need to use the actual name of the field (as seen in your grid view) to reference in the prefill URL.

Hope that helps!

Hey @Jason, I’m having the same issue that @cor was mentioning, ie prefill a form with a linked data, and I tried both using the record_id and the actual name as seen in the grid view, but both don’t seem to work… I still see the “+ add” button showing on my form, rather than the linked record.

Hope that’s clear ! Thanks a lot

Post an example prefill URL here. My hunch is there’s something wrong with the prefill link.

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Stan_DZ, I’d recommend using the ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT formula function to help generate the field names to use in your prefill URL. This formula translates characters like spaces (and many other characters) into a format readable by your browser URL.

Using your example field name, Choix de la formation should read as Choix%20de%20la%20formation when entered as part of the prefull URL.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.59.10 AM

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Also, here’s an article that walks you through setting this up in your base: https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039781394-Build-a-custom-form-URL-filler-using-ENC...

Cheryl_Treharne
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any update to this question please

About what? This a #show-and-tell post that shows how to do something.