cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0800-grizzly
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,

Is there ways to (i) force an email address collected through a Airtable form and to (ii) convert an email address coming in from an external system to lower case?

We use Airtable as a CRM/ERP system, hence we register contacts and events for those contacts (for the purpose of this question). The first touch point is an Airtable form, after which the contact is directed to a Calendly event. The one piece of information connecting these inside Airtable (and a basis for a lot of automations) is the contact's email address.

Yesterday I debugged an automation, and realised it had not found the right contact due to a capital case beginning of the email in the contact's data. Had not thought about these (naturally) being case sensitive.

I see that one can user lower() in formulas, but would not want to use several "parallell" fields/columns for this. I tried to use lower() to encapsulate the data field in the automation, but that didn't seem to work.

Suggestions how to do this?

Rgds,

Björn

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You don't need to use a formula field or any additional fields. You do need an automation.

1. Use an automation with the trigger "when form submitted".
  2. Use an "Update Record" action that updates the triggering record.
  3. Set the {Email} field to the value of the {Email} field in the triggering record.
  4. Then modify the token for the email value to lowercase. You might also want to modify the token again to trim any extra whitespace.

kuovonne_0-1715358048642.png

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Shawn_Peters
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Björn,

• You can use a formula field to do this in the table the email resides in (where the form is submitted)
  • Have it target the email field and use LOWER(email)
  • then have the automation target the formula field for your search/find step
  • alternatively you could have a new automation setup to update the email field when it does not match the lowercase formula field. 

Cheers!
    Shawn
-Shawn
慄Time Wizard
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You don't need to use a formula field or any additional fields. You do need an automation.

1. Use an automation with the trigger "when form submitted".
  2. Use an "Update Record" action that updates the triggering record.
  3. Set the {Email} field to the value of the {Email} field in the triggering record.
  4. Then modify the token for the email value to lowercase. You might also want to modify the token again to trim any extra whitespace.

kuovonne_0-1715358048642.png

Thank you! I had seen these options at some point but didn't understand their context. What a timesaver :)!

Björn