Help

Can I edit single select value without breaking automations etc?

Topic Labels: Base design
Solved
Jump to Solution
216 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0800-grizzly
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,

I find myself needing to change at least single select values, and would like to know if there's a way to do that without breaking automations and interfaces?

I e.g. have names of event types that I need to change, for example from "Discovery" to "Discovery call" or status kind of values like "Ready" to "Ready for invoicing". Any of these are used in interfaces and automations as discriminating variables to either activate automations or filter what is shown.

When attempting to edit one, I get a warning of dependencies, but I can't understand whether the update would actually break the listed dependencies.

Thankful for any help how to do this safely. I have a ton of changes to make....

Rgds,

Björn

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If your automations and filters use the specific option itself instead of say, text comparisons, you should be fine; each single select option has a unique ID that's unaffected by its text display value

I can't guarantee anything as I'm not familiar with your setup though, and given how important this seems to you I'd highly suggest duplicating your base and modifying the automations so that you can easily see whether they triggered (e.g. make them create new records in a new table), and then making the changes you want to see whether any downstream issues occur

See Solution in Thread

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I recommend looking at each of the dependencies to see how they will be affected. In general, if the select choice appears in pill format in the dependency, changing the choice name will not break the dependency.

I find the formula fields that use select choice names are the most likely to break, so I check those the most carefully. View filters and interface pages are usually okay. Automations are a mixed bag and really depend on the configuration of the automation. 

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If your automations and filters use the specific option itself instead of say, text comparisons, you should be fine; each single select option has a unique ID that's unaffected by its text display value

I can't guarantee anything as I'm not familiar with your setup though, and given how important this seems to you I'd highly suggest duplicating your base and modifying the automations so that you can easily see whether they triggered (e.g. make them create new records in a new table), and then making the changes you want to see whether any downstream issues occur

Thanks!

It all seemed to work very well as long they were as variables. So far so good!

Björn

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I recommend looking at each of the dependencies to see how they will be affected. In general, if the select choice appears in pill format in the dependency, changing the choice name will not break the dependency.

I find the formula fields that use select choice names are the most likely to break, so I check those the most carefully. View filters and interface pages are usually okay. Automations are a mixed bag and really depend on the configuration of the automation. 

Thank you!

I went ahead and started doing these before I saw you reply. Therefore I'm not sure how to look at the select choices (pill format?), to my untrained eye they were quite uninformative.

I think all of the places where the dependencies were by variable were OK. In some automation filters I had to have them some hard coded, and they of course needed adjusting. Would be so helpful to have a search function across the automations to see where a certain string/variable has been used :).

Björn