Help

How to build drag and drop (or otherwise quickly adjustable) sequence of records?

246 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSPariah
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm brand-new to Airtable, and I'm trying to use it for managing an upcoming burlesque show. Each record will have all the details for each act, and then I'll create interfaces for each relevant team member (stage manager, sound board operator, host) that has the information they need for each act, in the order that each act will be going on stage.

The most important thing is that the producers need to be able to rapidly change the order of acts in the show, if performers drop out at the last minute or something like that. So what I'm looking for is an easy way for them to be able to change the order of acts in one place -- preferably by drag-and-drop, but entering a sequence number manually will also work -- and then the order of the acts automatically updates in every other interface. 

Example: The first act is supposed to have performances from Hezzy Tate, then Amber Dextrous, then Trisky Business. So everyone's interfaces have all the information in that order. But Hezzy is running late, so we want to have her go on last of those three. How can I set it up so that the producers can quickly move Hezzy Tate to after Trisky Business and then everyone's interfaces now show all the acts in the new order?

4 Replies 4
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Have you tried the gallery page? That is usually the best way to have drag-and-drop capability. Not sure if drag-and-drop works on iPad, though, because Airtable isn’t very mobile-friendly. You may need a laptop/desktop.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

Yes, but adjusting the order on the gallery page doesn't adjust the order anywhere else. And who said anything about iPads?

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If that doesn’t work for you, then do what you originally said: manually enter sequence numbers. This would not be a difficult problem to solve, because every single part of Airtable includes the ability to sort records. 

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

p.s. However, if you want everyone to share the same gallery view (for drag-and-drop purposes), then use views instead of interfaces.