Help

Formula displaying zero result as a blank field (and hyphen in Interface)

Solved
Jump to Solution
1055 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdenman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Airtable and formulas and have a pretty simple formula that is displaying a hyphen as a result of a calculation of zero, instead of the number 0. I admit I borrowed the formula originally from one I found on here, but not sure why the number I've designated isn't being displayed.

It's not a true numeric calculation, but a replacement I'm using to give a numeric value to a field that also has text for ratings, i.e. 3 - Exemplary, etc., so that I can total up all the ratings from different categories and assign a value.

Here's the formula:

IF(
{Field1} = '0 - Deficient' , 0,
IF(
{Field2}
= '3 - Exemplary', 3,
IF(
{Field3}
= '2 - Accomplished', 2,
IF(
{Field4} = '1 - Developing', '1', 'Out of range'
)
)
)
)

I personally have no idea why the formula shared was nested and if that has something to do with it, but everything else about the formula is working.

It's displaying like this in the table and the interface.
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 3.17.01 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-17 at 3.16.47 PM.png

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

It seems that in the interface, if a numeric 0 is returned in a string field, it is treated the same as FALSE() or BLANK() (I guess it's a bug).
If you add an empty character ( &"") to output as a string, it displays correctly.

{Field1} = '0 - Deficient' , 0&"",

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

It seems that in the interface, if a numeric 0 is returned in a string field, it is treated the same as FALSE() or BLANK() (I guess it's a bug).
If you add an empty character ( &"") to output as a string, it displays correctly.

{Field1} = '0 - Deficient' , 0&"",

That's an excellent tip. I never knew that. Thank you @Sho 

Amazing, thank you! I really appreciate your help @Sho.

This community is the best.