Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryanngp
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello! Im looking to recreate this function in Airtable

=COUNTA(UNIQUE(Masterlist!C5:C))

Where the column in Airtable I'm looking to count unique entries in is called CLIENT NAME. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the UNIQUE function works, is there a replacement or workaround?

In short, I'm looking for a way to count unique entires in the CLIENT NAME column, i.e.:

McFly, Marty
McFly, Marty
Gambini, Vincent
Ipkiss, Stanley
Ipkiss, Stanley
Ipkiss, Stanley
Hillard, Daniel

Counting this column would come back as a count of 4

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable formulas do not work across columns. Airtable formula fields only have access to field values for the same row. Airtable rollup fields have access to the list of values for a single field in linked records.

If you want to see the number of unique values, I suggest looking at the summary bar and setting it to show how many unique values there are.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable formulas do not work across columns. Airtable formula fields only have access to field values for the same row. Airtable rollup fields have access to the list of values for a single field in linked records.

If you want to see the number of unique values, I suggest looking at the summary bar and setting it to show how many unique values there are.

Hello @ryanngp 
As @kuovonne said think about rows and columns while you're using Airtable, Don't think like Google Sheets and excel. Airtable follows some of his own rules. "Go with structured way" 🙂

Use linking between tables, lookups, rollups and formulas. Which makes more sense when you use multiple tables. But if you need more advanced calculation and logical implementation then use Automation with script OR use extension script.

I hope this helps 👍

ryanngp
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for 🙂