cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanR
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,

I'm using AirTable to track potential sales opportunities and would like to visualise on a chart the revenue per month.  This is similar to the Gantt chart view but instead would show the size of revenue rather than simply a project.

For example, if an opportunity lands on the 15th April that will last 2 months, completing on the 15th June and worth £100k, this would be spread over those months.  I.e. £50k in April, £100k in May, and £50k in June.  Then a bar chart would total all these by month.

In Excel this is relatively easy - you create a column for each month that calculates how much of the revenue in each month (can just about do that here but it's not easy).   Then you create a bar chart for the table and it shows it easily.  Can't find a way to do that in AirTable or with an app.

Any and all help is much appreciated!!

Dan

3 Replies 3

Yeah, you're going to need to create a new table just for that chart I believe

The variable amount based on the number of days makes this pretty tricky, and it seems like you'd need a table just for that kind of calculations I think.  So for your example of 15 Apr - 15 June, you'd need a table that had 3 records, one for each month, and you'd probably need a script to help you figure out the allocations if you want this done automated

You'd then need to create a table just for this chart where each record in this table would be a single month-year, e.g. "Apr 2024", "May 2024", and you'd link these appropriately to the records in the previous table and have a rollup to sum up the values per month, and you'd create the chart for this table

Thank you for this.  That makes sense. 

I believe I can create columns that calculate the amount of revenue for each month.  Does that need to be in a separate table?

For the separate table for the chart, each line needs to be a month year.  Is there a way to full automate this (like in Excel)?  As a nice-to-have, ideally I'd like a stacked chart which then shows 'in progress', 'secured', 'likely'; is that feasible?

Thank you again! 

re: I believe I can create columns that calculate the amount of revenue for each month. Does that need to be in a separate table?

As long as you're able to populate the chart data table (i.e. the one where each record is a month-year) with the appropriate data you're good to go, really.  I couldn't think of how to do that dynamically and so defaulted to having a separate table for it; I'd love to know how you do it!

---
re: For the separate table for the chart, each line needs to be a month year. Is there a way to full automate this (like in Excel)?

Hm, like pre-create all of the month year combos for you?  Might need a script for that really.  Depending on how you're populating the chart data table your automations might handle this for you

re: As a nice-to-have, ideally I'd like a stacked chart which then shows 'in progress', 'secured', 'likely'; is that feasible?

Yeah, but you'd need to set up your data so that your chart data table was able to distinguish which amounts are what status, does that make sense?

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 8.46.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 8.46.19 PM.png