371 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RIWFP_Admin
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Basically, I'm wondering how to change the fields shown in a linked record field dropdown/select menu.

These fields below (Record ID, First, Middle) do little to help me distinguish among similar records.

Note that this particular screenshot is of a linked field to a table that is synced in from another base. But my question stands generally, whether for a table«»table link or for a table«»synced table link—what's the best way to choose my own fields to display, if it's possible at all?

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 1.45.32 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hi @RIWFP_Admin,

It's kind of strange, but this is how it works:

1. If you're in the grid view, it is pulling those fields & field order from the TOPMOST GRID VIEW that ISN'T a personal view from the linked table.

2. However, you can override that by telling the linked record field to limit your record selections to a view. Then, the linked record field will pull its fields from that particular view.

3. Additionally, in interfaces (not the grid view), you can handpick the fields that you want to be displayed.

p.s. If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Hi,
They are 2nd - 5th fields of a linked table in Grid view (first or primary field is the record name, displayed on link)

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hi @RIWFP_Admin,

It's kind of strange, but this is how it works:

1. If you're in the grid view, it is pulling those fields & field order from the TOPMOST GRID VIEW that ISN'T a personal view from the linked table.

2. However, you can override that by telling the linked record field to limit your record selections to a view. Then, the linked record field will pull its fields from that particular view.

3. Additionally, in interfaces (not the grid view), you can handpick the fields that you want to be displayed.

p.s. If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

The specificity here was incredibly helpful, I have wondered this for years—glad I finally asked. Thank you!

You're welcome! Glad I coudl help! 🙂