Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Column Grouping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello Community,

I’ve had a bit of an idea.

At our company, we have tables that can have up to 30-40 columns in them, especially on the “summary” or “master” tables, where data is assembled from other tables. This can get very confusing.

What If we could group similar columns together in a similar way we group rows? Color-coded, collapsible, and individually shareable. It could be quite powerful.

Thoughts?

50 Comments
Tony_Mariani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature. I currently have to merge cells in Excel to get the visual I want. Bet AirTable could do something more graceful.

Daniel_Hofinger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature would be extremely valuable to manage complexity. We have tables with ~300+ fields (columns) and it becomes quite hard to manage. It’s could be like in Excel when you have a head column above the actual head column that contains merged cells to describe the column category. Additionally, with 300 fields it’s really hard to move new fields to the right position. If you could collapse field groups then you could just move them into the right field group and then order there (with less fields, e.g. 30).

See screenshots attached.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 13.40.28
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 13.40.45

Max_Herman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for me here. This would be very useful for us.

Konstantin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 from me too. Grouping for columns like Daniel_Hofinger show it will be the best solution

Angela_Malin
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 from me, I have different types of products that have slightly different fields, meaning I end up with ALOT of columns, would be good to group them by product type, easier to manage and move around :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

You could also create a View for every type of product.

Angela_Malin

Thanks, Yes I was going to create a view for each product type, but would be good if I could pick the fields to show based on what “group” the field was in, rather than having to select each individual field relevant to that product!

Isabelle_Le_Gra
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 would be much better, thanks

Matt_Stevenson

This would be so helpful. Just the ability to group, or collapse a bunch of columns to find the ones I need. Views are so fiddly to have to keep updated.

Moira_Krier
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Absolutely need to add my +1 here, it’s a source of real frustration that this element isn’t built in