Help

Setting up a Queuing System to an automation?

Topic Labels: Automations
182 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrewC
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, 

I am running into the problem where if two users trigger my automation at the same time or before the automation finishes then the second data point will not run/create a record. Is there a way to setup a queuing system where the second trigger can hold until the automation has completed?

Thank you!

2 Replies 2
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

You could consider a field that tracks Automation State.  Values might be: Not Running, Automation Running

Then on your when to trigger your two automations include that the automation state has to be Not Running.

Dan's idea is the best & quickest & easiest way to accomplish this. That's what I would typically recommend.

However, for a more complex way of handling this, you could outsource your automations to Make's advanced automations for Airtable.

In Make, there is a setting at the bottom of the automation entitled "Sequential Processing", which always ensures that your automation runs are triggered sequentially in order (so the next run won't start until the previous run is complete).

If you’ve never used Make before, I’ve assembled a bunch of Make training resources in this thread. For example, here is how you would instantly trigger a Make automation from Airtable.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld