Help

Best equivalent to Excel's filter options?

1106 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jack_Nagy
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Pretty new here so forgive me if this is an obvious question!

In Excel, I have the option to filter a column to show a certain subset of entries - e.g. I can click on the filter button on the column header, and view checkboxes for every single type of entry in that column. (e.g. if the column is full of Apple, Orange, Kiwi, etc., I could select to see only the records with Apple OR Orange in that column).

In Airtable, this seems much less intuitive - I can manually type in filters, but a) typing each entry is slower than simply going down the dropdown / checkbox list and selecting which values I want to display, and b) forces me to manually remember or find I might want to filter for, instead of having a list presented to me. Additionally, if I want to filter multiple columns this way, the whole AND/OR filter list becomes confusing to work with.

(e.g. am I filtering for:
(Column A is Apple OR Column A is Orange) AND Column B is Aeroplane
or
Column A is Apple OR (Column A is Orange AND Column B is Aeroplane)
? This isn’t made immediately clear by the UI).

So, what should I do here?

I have tried the groups functionality too, but this doesn’t automatically exclude the data I don’t want to see, so it’s not really a neat solution.

Is there something more directly analogous to Excel’s very intuitive filtering dropdown options?

Cheers!

1 Reply 1
Michael_Nguyen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yup I totally agree. It’s annoying that you have to manually type to filter values instead of selecting values. Especially if Airtable is supposed to be better in Excel/google sheets. I’m currently using google sheets to basically run my biz right now. I am 50/50 as to whether to switch to airtable.

Please let us know if anyone has suggestions. I hope Airtable will have this feature in the near future.