3683 12
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olenka_Hand
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi - I’m creating a purchasing database for a furniture install project and would like to make various calculations to the summary of a field.

For example - multiplying the summary/subtotal by 8.25% for tax - then multiplying it again by 10% for warehousing and install.

Finally - adding up the subtotal, tax and warehousing and install numbers to get a final total.

Thank you!

12 Replies 12

If you are referring to the summary bar at the bottom of the field, unfortunately, you cannot make arbitrary calculations in those fields. You can, however, create another table, let’s call it “Summary”. Link every single record (that you want to be included in a particular Summary) to the same record in the “Summary” table, and then you can create lookups/rollups/formulas in the summary that act on the totals of all the records you linked.

Ping back if you need more detailed help setting that up.

Cool. So in the summary table I’ll paste all the records I’ve copied over and link them to these records too?

No, not quite. In the summary table, you’ll have one record (row) that you link ALL of your expense records to. There will be a linked record field there where you will see all of your expense records listed once they are linked. There is no need to copy/paste any data - just create the linked record relationship of ALL expense records to ONE summary record.

Then, from there, you can use a Rollup field to SUM(values) the “Total” field from those expense records. Then you can use formulas to act on that SUM(total).

Ok. I think I have the bones of it. Could I send you some screenshots to consider though? Something is not syncing up for me.

In this shot you’ll see my budget table w/numbers I would like to subtotal in the extended cost field.

So it’s not letting me upload images…

@Olenka_Hand, I’ll try to link you to an example later tonight.

Olenka_Hand
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks so much! Do you know of any in-person tutorials - or how to find them in Austin, Texas? :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a simple little example base, @Olenka_Hand:

0d41b7239ab01c5f5e8f76a7f7d714f76ba86a36.png

Airtable: Organize anything you can imagine

Airtable works like a spreadsheet but gives you the power of a database to organize anything. Sign up for free.

Feel free to look at the formulas and everything, and play around with it to see how it works.

I am not aware of any in-person tutorials, sorry. Have you checked out all the help documents and videos? Also, these forums are a pretty good resource. Are you using Airtable for business, or just personally?

Thank you! Finally figured it out the end of the day yesterday - and your example confirmed my steps. Appreciate it.

Using it for business… The initial step for setting up the linked field with all the records from the budget table was a bit tedious since I had 63 records - and I have to add each record into the one new record right? (Clicking on the + sign each time… Or is there a way to copy all the records and paste them into the one new record in one go?)

Olenka_Hand
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.21.43 AM.jpg

Olenka_Hand
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.20.46 AM.jpg

You can copy and paste the linked record. So you could have (and can in the future) linked the first one, copied it’s value, selected all the rest of the records, and pasted that value into all of them at once.

Also, since you only have the one record in your SUMMARY table, when you are linking a new record from your BUDGET table, you can select that SUMMARY field and just hit Enter twice – the first time will effectively click the + to open the selection menu, and the second time will select the top option, which in your case is the only option. Makes for a pretty quick workflow when adding new records one at a time to your BUDGET table.

Looks like you have it working as you need it to!