Help

Can Someone Explain How To Link Records?

1370 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi

Can someone provide set by step instructions on how to create a new link to a record?

I went through the support/help pages from Airtable.com, but it just confuses me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mary

4 Replies 4
AlliAlosa
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi there Mary!

To link records, you need to first create a linked record field. Create a new field either by clicking the “+” button all the way to the right of your Grid View, or by right clicking and choosing Insert Left or Insert Right - see below screenshot.

1.jpg

By default, the new field will be a “Single Line Text” field type. Click the blue rectangle and change the type to “Link to another record”.

2.jpg 3.jpg

Then, choose the table you want to link to. You can link to the same table or to another table :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this helps!

M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @AlliAlosa

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful.

Now, when I want to add a new record, manually, I am not sure if I should go to Table 2, CATALOGUE#, (which has all the fields for each record) and choose “Create new record” and then fill in the record, then link to Table 1? Or do I link the new record in COUNTRY table 1, first, then fill in the record?

I want to link records in both tables.

I have a share link, if you want to see a better illustration of my base.

Feeling a bit confused.

Mary K

Hi Mary,

If I were you, I would set up the base like this…

Table 1: [Stamps] - holds all stats for individual stamps: Catalogue #s, Issue Dates, Values, etc.
Table 2: [Countries] - can act as a summary table to count how many stamps you have for a particular country, show the most recent one, etc.

I would add all of my stamps from the [Stamps] table, and group the records on that table by country. To add a stamp for a particular country, just click the “+” button under that group. You can also add new countries by typing directly into the {COUNTRY} field. Whatever you put there will also add a new record to the [Countries] table.

I copied your base and reworked it a little bit structurally (as I described above). I also changed the Primary Field on the [Stamps] table to a formula that concatenates the {CATALOGUE#} with the {COUNTRY} for ease of entry.

Let me know if you have any other questions :slightly_smiling_face:

M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @AlliAlosa

Thank you so much for your help. The table works just how I want it to. It’s also really easy to link records.

I also made a template from the base because I have another table that I could use it to setup.

Thank you,
Mary