Many linked records in 1 Table

I’m wondering if anyone knows a way to solve this issue that I’m having with my ‘Employees’ table containing 12 unwanted destination links.

Current Base Setup:

• Table 1: Employees
  • Table 2: Client Groups (for entities that are in the same family group)
  • Table 3: Client Entities (one record for each entity in the above Client Group)
  • Table 4: Jobs (for client jobs at an entity-level. Has linked records to all three tables above)

Number of Linked Records to Employees table:

• Client Groups table: links 5 times to Employees table
  • Client Entities table: links 3 times to Employees table
  • Client Jobs table: links 4 times to Employees table

Each linked record represents a role that an employee plays at that level.

• E.g., an employee linked at the ‘Client Groups’ level (Table 2) with the role ‘Reviewer’ will be the primary reviewer for all work related to that client group.
  • The same goes for an employee linked at the ‘Client Entities’ level (Table 3) with the role ‘Reviewer’ - they will take care of all review work for that client at the entity level.
  • These fields are then used at the ‘Jobs’ level (Table 4) to delegate work to an Assignee (the ‘Assignee’ field is yet another linked record to the Employees table). A lookup at the ‘Jobs’ level won’t work because some jobs are ad hoc and require unique assignments (each role has a unique linked record field which I use to automate the job Assignee based on role).

Result of this Base design:

• My Employees table has 12 linked record fields which clutter my table.

Am I doing something horribly wrong to make my Employees table have 12 linked columns which aren’t ever consciously interacted with by users? Any suggestions welcome!

This topic was solved and automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.