1929 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Duane_Journey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a method for taking a column of information or parts of and by clicking a box moving over to a new Table?

What I doing is building a Casting database.
1st Table has all the actors listed by Age, Sex, Ethnicity. This page has pictures and contact numbers. I want to be able to go in check the ones I want to consider for a job, then have the checked ones duplicate over to a new Table. (Table 2)

From here I have the director rate A,B,C their choice. Once we have contracted one of their, we would click another box and move those ones alone over to a new table (Table 3) “Contracted”.

Is this kind of linking or moving information possible in Airtable?

4 Replies 4

Hi @Duane_Journey - you can select the records you want using the tickbox at the far left of the record, then use CTRL-C/CMD-C to copy them. In a table with the same structure you can paste these records:

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 18.13.24.png

This would work fine for simple use cases.

From a purist design perspective, you probably wouldn’t want to copy these records to another table - partly for unnecessary duplication reasons, but also if the data changes in the original table, it won’t be reflected in the duplicated tables. A better way might be to give each record a status - initial casting, stage 2, final stage etc - and have views that filter based on this status. But I’m being a purist :winking_face:

JB

Duane_Journey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

That’s what I really want is the purist version. But I don’t really understand how to accomplish that. I would be good to only take certain elements over to Stage 2.

OK, more purist answer:

If this is your table:

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 19.08.01.png

Have a field (probably a single select) “Casting Stage” showing which stage the candidate is at. Then create another view (say “Stage 1”) and filter this where status = Stage 1:

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 19.07.51.png

You can also use the “hide fields” functionality to hide columns not needed for the stage 1 process.

Here’s a link to views which will help too:

JB

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We’ve built an extension that allows you to move records between tables, but it would break any existing links, because essentially what’s happening is that the records are being copied to another table and then delete it from the original one.