cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samuel_Houwen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all,

I have a pretty particular case that i need a solution for.
I own a small retro game store where i buy and sell games on a few locations (ebay, webshop, in the store itself etc…) .

So there have been occasions where i sell a game in the store or at a convention.
Forget the same game is online (on ebay or another POS).
And the same game get’s sold online.
Now most items i have are unique and i don’t have a large stock of them.
So i end up having to cancel the online order, very annoying and something i wan’t to avoid as much as possible.

Now i have created a list of the items i have online with airtable, based on the barcodes that are on these pieces. So when there is a new item that arrives in my stock i scan the barcode, enter the title, and when i put it online i have a checkmark ‘online’.

The idea is when i sell the game at a ‘real-life’ location (convention or shop) i use the ‘find’ function, scan the code and if it shows op in the list with checkmark ‘online’ i mark it as sold. And when it’s sold the game moves to the ‘sold’ list. So at the end of the day i can see what games i have sold in a list and get them offline and adjust the quantity i have in stock.

A bit hard to explain but it’s actually all pretty simple.

And i actually managed to get something like this working with airtable. Now it’s all still a bit ‘clunky’.
For example the steps i have to take to sell an item (press the find button - scan - mark result as sold - next game) are a bit time-consuming. I have some background in filemaker and there i would be able to just create a button ‘sell’ scan the barcodes and when they are scanned they are automatically marked as sold.

What i’m basically asking is if functions like this are a possibility with airtable (creating buttons with functions etc). And if not, maybe someone has any tips on making the flow of what i’m trying to achieve a bit better.

And are there things with a pro subscription that would help me get my solution better? (f.e. certain blocks).

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

4 Replies 4
Jordan_Violet
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

There are currently no functions for making buttons in AirTable. Would it be possible for you to create a public copy of the AirTable you’ve currently made, Scrubbing any personal data and putting in a few sample records?

I’d love to take a look at what you have and see if I can help.

Samuel_Houwen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Jordan! Thank you for your reply.
I’m not totally sure on how to make by base public?
Does the following work?

Blockquote https://airtable.com/invite/l?inviteId=invqtWHCk7T8D2MAZ&inviteToken=65145fbdfa86bf71ed00f2bfb4e374f...

Thanks in advance!

openside
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Samuel, you should watch this episode of BuiltOnAir Podcast:
https://builtonair.com/boa-podcast-s02e06-sherman-sanders-board-game-master/

It’s a very similar use case and he shares a bit of how he manages his game store.

Thanks for sharing about this Podcast!!! So Cool! :slightly_smiling_face: :thumbs_up: