9372 9
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
auroraafable
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I keep creating records on the wrong tables whenever I use the ios app. Is there a way to move a record to a diff table?

9 Replies 9
Rachel_List
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I need to do this too but for a different reason. Moving active clients to inactive, etc…

I copy records around a lot, but to different bases, successfully with Zapier. You could set up a field (Active/Inactive) to trigger a zap to copy the record to the target table and set up your main working views to hide inactive records when using your source table.

Polen how do you do that? There is only a new record trigger in Zapier.

So if I have an existing record and set one of the fields to yes, I want that record to be added to another base. Can you explain your Zapier steps because it looks like I can’t copy a record when a field is updated, only when there is a new record. Jess

There is no trigger for updated record. You need to use the New Record in View. Just keep in mind the limitation that this will work only once. When record first enters the view, the zap will run. If it then leaves the view and it enters it again, it will not run the zap again. So if change of status is common it will not work for you.

Re: moving records from one table to another to mark active vs inactive, I’d instead recommend leaving all clients in a single table, but adding a dropdown field called “Status” with “Inactive” and “Active” as dropdown options. You could then create views that filter to show only active, or inactive, clients respectively. This is much better than copying records between different tables: you’ll get the same set of client fields for active vs inactive fields, any comment/revision history on the record will be preserved (they don’t get copied over if you copy a record), etc.

You may be interested in this webinar which goes over this concept among others: https://vimeo.com/191582383

I’m sure there will be cases that copying/moving records would be necessary. I was thinking @Rachel_List might be using a form view that links to this airtable. Hence, she wants to remove clients that are already inactive, otherwise, her form would have a very long dropdown populated by inactive clients.

Yes, I had to give up on the form view a long time ago, not being able to
move the records was a killer for me. Switching back and forth between
views all the time is not convenient.

Mike_Ashelby

Hmmm. This is a pain. The ‘active/inactive’ thing is a shoddy workaround. The main problem with it is that you have to add an extra filter to all the views to exclude the ‘inactive’ ones. In addition, inactive ones will still appear in searches when linking from other sheets.

Being archived makes more sense in a number of use cases.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We’ve built an extension that automatically moves records that meet a certain criteria to another table.