cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryank
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, 

I am still getting used to Airtable and am having trouble designing my tables and views. I am looking for some help from the community. Here's the scenario:

• I am trying to create a gallery view of approved real estate properties that I can share with my clients.
  • Clients should be able to sort and filter the gallery view to help them find properties.
  • The card view will show a couple fields but clients can click on the card to expand the record, to see all fields (with exceptions mentioned below).
  • I have 2 people helping me search for real estate properties to add, so I want to create 2 forms for each of them to submit their properties for approval. The form for Person A and Person B will have the same fields except Person B's will have 3 extra fields.
  • As the properties are submitted through the 2 forms, they end up in a grid view and their "Status" should be marked as "Pending" until I mark them as "Approved", at which point they should show up on the gallery view for clients.
  • The 3 extra fields submitted in Person B's form are not supposed to show up in the gallery view by the clients (it's confidential info and just for me), even when the cards are expanded.

Currently, I have 1 form for Person A (doesn't require the 3 extra fields) which submits to a grid view and the "Status" field defaults to "Pending" until I change it to "Approved". I also have a gallery view which is filtered by "Status" to only show the "Approved" properties.

This all works well but I don't know how set it up to accommodate the additional form for Person B which will require 3 extra fields which are confidential and required in my grid view but should be hidden from the gallery view (even when the cards are expanded).

I don't know if I need to set up another grid view or another table altogether. I would really appreciate any ideas the community has.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoseAmelia
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there! 

Seems like you're already halfway there. I'll walk you through some final things you'll need to do to get the desired solutions. 

1. Setting up the Base

- In your 'Properties' table, make sure you have all the fields that you'll want to be filled out. This should include those extra fields that only apply to Person B.

2. Form for Person B

- If the data is confidential, I would suggest creating a second form specifically for person B. When you go to edit the form the fields you've added to your table should be in the left-hand side bar and can be easily dragged and dropped into the form. 

- When you are giving Person A and B their work, make sure to send them their individualized forms. 

3. Customer Views

- If you want to avoid using interfaces (and allow those without Airtable accounts) to view the data, the best workaround will be to create a gallery view. Then using the 'Customize Card' toggle at the top you can choose what data you would like to share with the client:

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.09.24 PM.png

(this Image is from a Real Estate base I built) 

When you select fields, all of them will show up on the cards, making them look a bit clunky. When you go to share the view with your clients,  you can toggle the sharing settings to disable viewers from seeing the rest of the fields when they click on the cards.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.11.34 PM.png

When your clients open the link they will be able to filter and sort on any of the fields you've made accessible to them and can customize the cards to include/exclude any of the fields you've shared. 

Hope this helps!

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
RoseAmelia

Hi there! 

Seems like you're already halfway there. I'll walk you through some final things you'll need to do to get the desired solutions. 

1. Setting up the Base

- In your 'Properties' table, make sure you have all the fields that you'll want to be filled out. This should include those extra fields that only apply to Person B.

2. Form for Person B

- If the data is confidential, I would suggest creating a second form specifically for person B. When you go to edit the form the fields you've added to your table should be in the left-hand side bar and can be easily dragged and dropped into the form. 

- When you are giving Person A and B their work, make sure to send them their individualized forms. 

3. Customer Views

- If you want to avoid using interfaces (and allow those without Airtable accounts) to view the data, the best workaround will be to create a gallery view. Then using the 'Customize Card' toggle at the top you can choose what data you would like to share with the client:

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.09.24 PM.png

(this Image is from a Real Estate base I built) 

When you select fields, all of them will show up on the cards, making them look a bit clunky. When you go to share the view with your clients,  you can toggle the sharing settings to disable viewers from seeing the rest of the fields when they click on the cards.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.11.34 PM.png

When your clients open the link they will be able to filter and sort on any of the fields you've made accessible to them and can customize the cards to include/exclude any of the fields you've shared. 

Hope this helps!

This is very clear and helpful and will definitely work. Thank you so much!

Would you happen to know if there is a way to get around the "clunky" view? I understand that the client could customize/reduce the fields on the card view but still show the granted fields once they expand the card. I just don't like the way the cards look on initial load of the gallery because there are so many fields.

RoseAmelia

Of course! Happy to help. 

I looked into the possibility of using the URL to customize the view, but as of now, I don't think that is possible (yet). Depending on the number of clients you're working with, your workflow, and your Subscription Plan, you may want to consider using Interfaces. There you will have the ability to create much more user-friendly views. 

There are caveats to using Interfaces  - your clients would have to make an air table account and if you're on the Pro plan, then you will be charged for each additional account. 

If you want to discuss more, I also offer a free 45-minute consult where I can help you brainstorm how to prioritize your client experience and maximize Airtable's functionality. Feel free to send me a message through my account.    

Hi,
If you want to hide something without worrying about other users access to sensitive data - sync the table to another base so that only public info will be synced. Lock the syncing view to prevent accidental data disclosure. 
If you want to get feedback from that public data users, you can add editable fields in synced table, or you can add other table and link it to synced. Then you can setup sync back to your source base, link that returned data to the source and display answers as lookups . You can search article about  2-way synchronization, which is in beta stage and not functional yet, but it has schema and explanation which is very similar to creating such workflow using two 1-way synchronizations, according to my explanation above.