929 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zlowery
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm having trouble creating a Form that I can use for Performance Ratings, and having that Form's fields update the Record field for the table. I believe I might have this architected in not the best way. Let me explain below.

• I have a Table that list Vendor Records. Each Record tracks, names, locations, services, cost, etc.
  • Additionally, these Vendor Records also track 4 Performance Rating Fields.
  • In the Table Table, I created a Form, with the intention that I could provide this form to managers quarterly, and Have them fill in the 4 Ratings fields for the Vendors they manage. The full intent is that I would automate a quarterly email to send to the manager, for each Vendor they manage.
  • When I test the form, I feel like I have set something up incorrectly, because there is no way for me to select a specific Vendor record, or even Default that for the Manager.
  • When I fill in the ratings, nothing updates, and it creates a new Record in the Vendor table - Again, pretty sure because its not connected to the record.

What is the best way to go about something like this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Colina
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would set up 2 tables - let's call them Vendors and Reviews. In the Vendors table, I'd create a Linked record field to the Reviews table, and toggle on allowing multiple linked records. The 4 ratings fields you currently have in your Vendors table I would instead house in Reviews, so that you might have the following fields in the Reviews table:

• Link to Vendors
  • Performance Metric 1 (1-5)
  • Performance Metric 2 (1-5)
  • Performance Metric 3 (1-5)
  • Performance Metric 4 (1-5)

You would make your form view in your Reviews table - this way when a manager fills out the form, they can select a vendor (from the "Link to Vendors" field) and will create a review. That review is parented to the vendor, and using a rollup field in the Vendors table of the linked Reviews field, you can do things like take the average of the ratings to create an overall vendor rating!

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Josh_Colina
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Form views create records of the same type into a table, and aren't meant to be used to update other records. It sounds like because your Form is a view in your vendors table, when filled out it will create a new vendor instead of a review.

What you might want to do instead is create another table for reviews that is linked and parented to the vendor records, and add your review form there. This will also be helpful if you anticipate multiple different managers leaving reviews on the same vendor. You can also create rollup fields in your vendor table to summarize performance ratings for each vendor!

zlowery

This makes sense - Any suggestion on something I can reference that shows this kind of setup?  I'm understanding the general setup, but im getting my head stuck on some of the structure of this

Josh_Colina
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would set up 2 tables - let's call them Vendors and Reviews. In the Vendors table, I'd create a Linked record field to the Reviews table, and toggle on allowing multiple linked records. The 4 ratings fields you currently have in your Vendors table I would instead house in Reviews, so that you might have the following fields in the Reviews table:

• Link to Vendors
  • Performance Metric 1 (1-5)
  • Performance Metric 2 (1-5)
  • Performance Metric 3 (1-5)
  • Performance Metric 4 (1-5)

You would make your form view in your Reviews table - this way when a manager fills out the form, they can select a vendor (from the "Link to Vendors" field) and will create a review. That review is parented to the vendor, and using a rollup field in the Vendors table of the linked Reviews field, you can do things like take the average of the ratings to create an overall vendor rating!

This worked!  Thank for your help.