1506 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LDKottal
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a project management base. I use the in-built Time Tracker extension to track the time spent on each project. I have several ongoing projects, and I work on more than one project each day. It annoys me that I have to select the project from a relatively long list before starting the time tracker, so I am trying to figure out if there is a way to skip that step.

I have a table with clients and another with projects (Project name, Authorized number of hours, Time spent, and Time left). Is it possible to use the button field in the projects table to start the time tracker for a specific project with one click on the button in that project's row? Or is there perhaps a better way of doing this?

Please feel free to ask if my question is unclear.

Thanks,
Lene D. Kottal

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hah yeah I know your pain well

I ended up creating a button that will run a scripting extension on click, it would create a new record for me linked to the current project, and populate a "Start time" field with the time I clicked the button

E.g. I have a bunch of time tracking records with "Start Time", "End Time", and "Time Spent" (which is a formula field with a DATETIME_DIFF()) fields, each of them linked to a "Project" record.   The "Project" record has a rollup field to sum up the time spent

And so if I'm working on Project 1, I'll just look for a time tracking record with Project 1 and click the button

You could do this with an automation as well I think, you'd just need a checkbox field and another field with a formula of "NOW()", and your automation would trigger whenever you updated the checkbox field, and it would:
1. Create a new record in your time tracking table
2. Paste the value from that formula field with "NOW()" and put it into the "Start Time" field

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5

Unfortunately, Airtable’s extensions cannot be triggered by buttons (with the exception of the Page Designer extension and the scripting extension), so if you wrote your own custom JavaScript script, you could run the script for the current record by clicking on a button.

However, a much easier & quicker solution is that you can simply change the configuration settings of the Time Tracker extension to only show you records that are listed in a certain view. So you can create a filtered view to show you just your “active projects” (or whatever projects you want to show), and then your record list will be a shorter list to choose from.

Alternatively, if you want to get super fancy & sophisticated with your time tracking, you can sign up for a time tracking app like Clockify or Teamwork or Toggl, and then use Make to communicate back & forth between Airtable and those apps.

You can setup buttons in Airtable that trigger custom webhooks in Make (and you can create custom webpage responses too).

Whenever one of your custom webhooks is triggered in Make, you can set it up to do whatever you want in those apps. Here is Make’s Clockify integrations, Teamwork integrations, and Toggl integrations.

There is a small learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video to help. I also provide the links to a few other Make training resources. For example, to instantly trigger your Make scenarios from Airtable silently with a script triggered by a drop-down menu instead, check out this thread.

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hah yeah I know your pain well

I ended up creating a button that will run a scripting extension on click, it would create a new record for me linked to the current project, and populate a "Start time" field with the time I clicked the button

E.g. I have a bunch of time tracking records with "Start Time", "End Time", and "Time Spent" (which is a formula field with a DATETIME_DIFF()) fields, each of them linked to a "Project" record.   The "Project" record has a rollup field to sum up the time spent

And so if I'm working on Project 1, I'll just look for a time tracking record with Project 1 and click the button

You could do this with an automation as well I think, you'd just need a checkbox field and another field with a formula of "NOW()", and your automation would trigger whenever you updated the checkbox field, and it would:
1. Create a new record in your time tracking table
2. Paste the value from that formula field with "NOW()" and put it into the "Start Time" field

I have already filtered the view. I just have a lot of active projects.

I will look into the other suggestions.

Thanks,
Lene

The automation idea sounds like an easy workaround. I will try that.

Thanks,
Lene 

I created the automation, and it works perfectly.

Thanks,
Lene