Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

What strategies do you use in Airtable to manage inventory for fashion products like shapewear and w

Topic Labels: Base design
57 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David-jono123
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

As someone in the shapewear and waist trainer industry, managing inventory efficiently is crucial for maintaining a successful business. I’m currently exploring Airtable to streamline this process and am interested in learning about different strategies and templates that others have found effective.

Here are a few specific points I’m looking for insights on:

1. Tracking Sizes and Styles:
    What fields do you recommend for tracking different sizes and styles of shapewear and waist trainers? I’m considering creating fields for size, color, and style type. Are there any specific layouts or formats that have worked well for you?

2. Automating Inventory Updates:
    Have you implemented any automation in Airtable to update inventory levels automatically? I’d love to hear about any scripts or workflows that help keep track of stock levels in real time, especially when items are sold or returned.

3. Integrating with E-commerce Platforms:
    If you sell shapewear or waist trainers online, how have you integrated Airtable with your e-commerce platform? I’m looking for ways to sync inventory data to ensure that my online store reflects accurate stock levels.

4. Visualizing Inventory Data:
    What are the best ways to visualize inventory data in Airtable? I’m interested in creating dashboards that highlight best-selling products or sizes that are running low in stock. Any tips on charts or views that have been particularly helpful?

5. Templates and Resources:
    Are there any specific templates in the Airtable community that you recommend for fashion inventory management? I’m eager to explore ready-made solutions that could save time and streamline my processes.

I appreciate any advice or examples you can share. Thanks in advance for your insights!

1 Reply 1

The fields you suggest (color, size, style) sound fine. You need fields that will help you uniquely identify each item that you need to track. You might also want to include a SKU or some other identifier. Once you have a way of uniquely identifying the items, the actual items themselves don't matter in an inventory system.

There are several different approaches to inventory. They generally involve additional tables. Here are some that I have used and encountered.

- A [Transactions] table where inventory is added and consumed. This would be setup like a checkbook register where each record has an item, a date, a quantity, and a description. A rollup field would give the current total inventory. You could also implement an automation script to calculate running totals if you want historic information.

- A system with [Receiving] and [Consuming] tables. This is most useful when you have other tables already (like an [Orders] table) where inventory items are consumed, and need to add inventory elsewhere. Use rollups to calculate the total items received and the total consumed. You cannot get a running total with historic inventory this way, you can only see current inventory.

- If inventory is managed elsewhere (such as an online store) you need to decide which place (the online store or Airtable) is the source of truth, and then use automations to push data from the source to the other platform.

- You will also want some method to perform adjustments to inventory when you do an audit.

Airtable has a variety of ways of visualizing data with charts and graphs.

Given how broad your questions are, you may want to hire a consultant.