cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Robeson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi all!

So I’m trying to make things a little easier for our Training Team and automating their Class Agenda creation process. Currently I have 3 tables in the base: Classes, Agendas, and Class Agenda Templates. Using automations, I am able to select a template in the Classes table (through a linked record field) that generates all agenda items for the given class in the Agenda table. Each agenda item created is also linked to the specific class through the linked record field.

I’ve gotten as far as you can see in the screenshot of the Agenda table below. I’m trying to figure out a solution that will allow me to use the Start Time (given) of the first Agenda Item along with the Duration field to generate the start and end time for each topic throughout the day. I’m aware that I will most likely need to create and use formula fields as well.

Airtable Class Example

Any help is appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi Nick, I think you have two options here, and the main issue we’re trying to work around is that formulas are unable to reference any data except in it’s own record. For example, Topic 1 won’t be able to reference data from Intro, which means we can’t add the duration of Topic 1 to the End Time value of Intro

Option 1:
We link each record to the record that precedes it. That is to say, Topic 1 will be linked to Intro, Topic 2 will be linked to Topic 1, and so forth. This would allow the formula fields to reference the data from the linked field.

I think you could modify the way your Agenda items are currently being generated to also automatically generate the links by:

1. Hardcoding the links into the template
  2. Making the primary field of the Agenda table into the format [Linked Class] - [Topic name]
  3. In the Agenda table creating a formula field that would have the same format as Step 2, except it’s for the record preceding it
  4. Use an automation to paste the value into a linked field to the same table

Option 2:
We write a script for this that runs with the automation. Chances are if we go down this route, we’d just make the script generate all the agenda items as well as I actually think it would make the script easier to write

If you don’t already know JavaScript (or know someone who does) you’d have to pay someone to get this done for you though, and if you ever needed changes you’d also need to pay to get those done

I recommend option 1 as, even though it’s going to be very convoluted, you’ll be able to modify it on your own without having to pick up JavaScript at least

I’m available to be hired to do either for you, and am happy to answer any further questions if you’re trying to do this yourself

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi Nick, I think you have two options here, and the main issue we’re trying to work around is that formulas are unable to reference any data except in it’s own record. For example, Topic 1 won’t be able to reference data from Intro, which means we can’t add the duration of Topic 1 to the End Time value of Intro

Option 1:
We link each record to the record that precedes it. That is to say, Topic 1 will be linked to Intro, Topic 2 will be linked to Topic 1, and so forth. This would allow the formula fields to reference the data from the linked field.

I think you could modify the way your Agenda items are currently being generated to also automatically generate the links by:

1. Hardcoding the links into the template
  2. Making the primary field of the Agenda table into the format [Linked Class] - [Topic name]
  3. In the Agenda table creating a formula field that would have the same format as Step 2, except it’s for the record preceding it
  4. Use an automation to paste the value into a linked field to the same table

Option 2:
We write a script for this that runs with the automation. Chances are if we go down this route, we’d just make the script generate all the agenda items as well as I actually think it would make the script easier to write

If you don’t already know JavaScript (or know someone who does) you’d have to pay someone to get this done for you though, and if you ever needed changes you’d also need to pay to get those done

I recommend option 1 as, even though it’s going to be very convoluted, you’ll be able to modify it on your own without having to pick up JavaScript at least

I’m available to be hired to do either for you, and am happy to answer any further questions if you’re trying to do this yourself

Thanks for the help, @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo! I’d agree that Option 1 is going to be the best bet (I know some Javascript, but the script required would take me far too long to write :joy: ).

Hahaha roger that. Hit me up if you hit any issues trying to implement Option 1 and we can brainstorm together. This seems like an interesting problem and I’m actually kind of curious how you generated all the agenda items as well